Track and wrestling: Small wins state title; wrestlers strong in regionals
From staff reports
East Rowan junior Brittany Small cleared 5 feet, 6 inches to win the high jump in the 3A State Championships held on Saturday in Winston-Salem.
Hickory Ridge’s Elizabeth Olesen also cleared 5-6 but had more misses.
• East Rowan’s Taylor Kirk was the winner in the wheelchair shot put. She threw 8 feet, 5 1/4 inches.
• East Rowan’s boys had two third places.
Marshall Shank placed third in the pole vault, clearing 15 feet. The winning height was 15-6.
Josh Little placed third in the 55-meter dash in 6.52 seconds.
• West Rowan’s Juwan Houston placed third in the 55-meter hurdles in 8.10 seconds.
• West Rowan’s Kevin Galliard was sixth in the triple jump with an effort of 40 feet, 6 inches.
• West Rowan’s J.T. Sanders was seventh in the 55-meter dash in 6.70 seconds.
• West Rowan’s 4×800 relay team was eighth in 8:34.07. That unit was comprised of Cameron Butler, Andrew Burgess, Jordan Bostian and Michael Anton.
• West Rowan’s 4×200 relay team of Houston, Galliard, Sanders and Lawrence Robinson was seventh in 1:44.20.
• For West Rowan’s girls, Josie Heglar was ninth in the 1000 meters in 3:13.81.
• The top finish for Carson’s boys was a fourth place in the 3200 by Zachary Marchinko (9:44.23).
•Carson’s Tyler Mason was eighth in the shot put (44-10 1/4).
•For Carson’s girls, Chloe Kirkpatrick tied for eighth in the pole vault, clearing 9 feet.
• Marvin Ridge swept the team championships.
• East Rowan’s girls scored 11 points.
• West Rowan’s boys scored 14 points, while East Rowan had 12, and Carson six.
• South View’s boys and Parkland’s girls won the 4A state championships.
Salisbury’s Jeffrey Burton won the 2A Midwest Regional championship at Parkwood on Saturday at 182 pounds.
Burton won a 6-3 decision for the regional title.
Salisbury qualified five wrestlers for the upcoming state championships.
Tyrell Blakeney (106), Jibri Cowan (132), Willie Clark (160) and Marquese Peele (285) all finished fourth and will join Burton for state competition.
Salisbury place fifth in the regional. North Surry won it. North Rowan was 19th.
• In the 3A Midwest Regional at Piedmont, Carson’s Brandon Sloop was regional champion at 170, West Rowan’s Zac Ridenhour won the regional title at 138, and South Rowan’s Logan Durham was the champion at 113.
Sloop won a 6-4 decision for the championship, Durham won 3-0 in the title match, and Ridenhour won the final via a medical forfeit.
Carson’s Jaron McMasters (160) and Alex Lyles (285) were regional runners-up.
Also qualifying for the state tournament were East Rowan’s Shiheem Saunders (4th at 182), Landon Carico (3rd at 113) and Logan Haas (4th at 120), and Carson’s Anthony McCurry (4th at 220).
Piedmont won the regional. Carson placed fourth. East Rowan was ninth, West Rowan was 16th, and South Rowan tied for 17th.
• In the 4A West Regional at Hough, A.L. Brown had two regional champs and qualified six for the state tournament.
The Wonders placed second in team scoring behind Hough.
Keechan Ware won the regional title at 220 by pin, and Isaiah Johnston prevailed in the 145 final by decision.
Nick Sexton was runner-up at 132. Avery Clinding (120) and Jerry Donatien (170) posted third-place finishes. Marcus Bolick (152) placed fourth.
• In the 4A Midwest Regional at Northwest Guilford, Davie qualified four for state competition.
Parker Correll (220) and Daniel Wilson (138) were runners-up. Lake Billings (120) and Bailey Ingram (145) placed third.
Northwest Guilford won the regional, Davie was fourth in team points.
• The state championships will be held in Greensboro from Feb. 19-21.