Prep Basketball: Action resumes in SPC
SPC basketball action resumes Tuesday, with three Rowan County schools on the road against Cabarrus foes.
West Rowan (8-5, 4-2) has some momentum coming off its Sam Moir Christmas Classic championship and plays at Cox Mill (9-5, 5-1).
The Falcons went 0-3 against Cox Mill last season, including a loss in the SPC tournament.
West Rowan has to find a way to contain Cox Mill’s high-scoring guard Matt Morgan, a Cornell signee.
• East Rowan is at Central Cabarrus in a matchup that’s critical for the Mustangs if they’re going to make a move in the SPC.
East Rowan (5-7, 2-4) also has some momentum after a runner-up finish in the Moir Classic.
East Rowan lost two close, low-scoring games to the Vikings (4-9, 1-5) last season.
• Carson (5-7, 2-3) has the toughest assignment of all as it goes to Hickory Ridge (12-2, 6-0), the league leader.
Hickory Ridge is led by Jaylen Stowe, a Mercer signee.
Carson has lost five straight games.
The Cougars split with the Ragin’ Bulls last season.
South Rowan (3-9) is at Salisbury (9-4) in a non-conference game.
South Rowan surprised the Hornets in the first round of the Sam Moir Christmas Classic. Both teams went 1-2 in the tournament.
CCC action will start Friday for Salisbury at East Davidson.
Carson senior Alex Allen enters the week with 969 career points.
Allen has scored in double figures 39 consecutive games the last two seasons.
Carson (6-7, 3-2) has a tough assignment at Hickory Ridge (11-2, 6-0), the league leader. Hickory Ridge has won on the road against its top two challengers — East Rowan and South Rowan.
• West Rowan (5-8, 3-3) is at Cox Mill (3-9, 2-4).
The teams split last season in some strange games. The Falcons won by 24, and the Chargers won by 16.
Shanice Miller scored 35 points for the Falcons against Cox Mill last season.
• East Rowan (11-1, 5-1) goes to Central Cabarrus with an eight-game winning streak and the momentum of a Sam Moir Christmas Classic title.
The Mustangs were 2-0 against the Vikings last season.
• South Rowan senior Cassidy Chipman comes into the week with 949 career points.
The Raiders (8-4) are playing a non-conference game at Salisbury (2-11). The teams have not met this season.
North Rowan is at Winston-Salem Prep on Wednesday and starts CCC action at Lexington on Friday.
That’s going to be a tough league test for North Rowan’s boys right away. North Rowan (7-4) and Lexington (9-2) were co-champs in the regular season last season.
• North Rowan’s girls are 5-4 after finishing second in the Moir tournament.
North Rowan senior Demeria Robinson enters the week with 939 career points.
A.L. Brown hosts Hough in MECKA action Tuesday.
Davie goes to West Forsyth for CPC contests.