• 57°

City of Kannapolis unveils new logo

KANNAPOLIS — The City of Kannapolis has a new look.
Annette Privette Keller, communications director, unveiled a new logo to City Council on Monday evening.
A logo is meant to capitalize on a city’s top assets that no one else has, Keller said. “A visual representation of your brand is your logo, and nobody else has our name.”
The logo is the stylized word “Kannapolis” with the letter “A” swooping through the remainder of the word. Silver letters on a navy background will be employed for signage. The image also includes a refreshed cupola, an identical version of which will top the new City Hall.
Smaller phrases can be used in the upper left-hand side of the logo, Keller noted, such as the City’s tagline, “Discover a Healthy Life,” departmental names or event names. For stationery and business cards, the Kannapolis logo will appear in navy on a white background. On clothing, it will be printed in white letters with a navy background.
When the logo is promoted nationally or internationally, Keller said, the word “NC” will be added.
Council approved the logo 7-0.
In other business, council unanimously approved:
• Acquisition of 7.1 acres on the Rocky River which will become part of the Carolina Thread Trail. The Rocky River Greenway, City Manager Mike Legg noted, is designated as a primary greenway for this multi-county project.
The property will be acquired through a pass-through grant of $23,000, which covers cost of purchase and due diligence requirements, Legg said.
• A municipal agreement between the City and NCDOT to construct 800 feet of sidewalk along Little Texas Road from Forest Park Elementary School to the Mission Hills Subdivision.
Wilmer Melton, the city’s director of public works, said that total cost of the project is $204,000. Of that amount, 75 percent or $153,000 is being funded by Congestion Mitigation Air Quality (CMAQ) funds, with the remaining 25 percent or $51,000 as the city’s cost.
Melton said that the project should be completed by July 2016. He added that a request for construction of additional sidewalks in that area has been made but as of yet has not been funded.
• Mayor Darrell Hinnant as voting delegate to the N.C. League of Municipalities’ Annual League Business Meeting in Greensboro, and the National League of Cities’ Annual Conference in Austin, Texas. Councilman Tom Kincaid will serve as alternate delegate.
In his report, Legg noted that the City of Kannapolis is changing its URL (Web site address) from www.kannapolis.com to www.kannapolisnc.gov.
“It is the standard for local governments across the nation to use that format,” he said.
City Council recognized Gerald Hilton as volunteer of the month, and Hinnant proclaimed October as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Freelance writer Susan Shinn lives in Salisbury.

Comments

Comments closed.

Coronavirus

People receiving first dose of COVID-19 vaccine grows by less than 1%

Education

Rowan-Salisbury Schools brings Skills Rowan competition back to its roots

Business

Weak jobs report spurs questions about big fed spending

News

Judge limits footage that family can see of deputy shooting in Elizabeth City

Sports

Woodland, two others share lead; Mickelson plays much worse but will still be around for weekend at Quail Hollow

Business

Former NHL player to open mobster themed bar in Raleigh

Nation/World

California population declines for first time

News

GOP leaders differ on bottom line for state spending

News

Police: Man killed in shootout with officers in Winston-Salem

Crime

Man charged after thieves rob would-be gun buyers of wallets, shoes

Crime

Blotter: Four added to sheriff’s most wanted list

High School

High school football: Some anxious moments, but Hornets win state title

Local

Photos: Salisbury High Hornets win big in 2AA championship game

Local

County manager outlines projections for the upcoming fiscal year budget, suggests uses for stimulus money

Business

Miami-based Browns Athletic Apparel opens second screen printing location in Salisbury

News

At funeral, fallen Watauga deputies remembered as ‘heroes’

Coronavirus

COVID-19 cluster identified at Granite Quarry Elementary

Coronavirus

More than half of North Carolinians have now taken at least one vaccine shot

Local

City hopes to cover expenses in 2021-22 budget with surplus revenue generated this year

Local

Fallen tree proves to be a blessing for local nonprofit Happy Roots

Local

Quotes of the week

Coronavirus

Health department drops quarantine time from 14 to 10 days

Crime

Blotter: More than $100,000 in property reported stolen from Old Beatty Ford Road site

Local

City fights invasive beetles by injecting trees with insecticide