Salisbury, East tennis win
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Salisbury’s boys tennis team opened CCC play with a 9-0 win against East Davidson on Monday.
Michael Ogden, Clint Comadoll, Spencer Storey, Abraham Post, Chris Derrick and David Derrick won in singles for the Hornets (4-0).
Comadall-Storey, Post-Hunter Carlton and the Derricks were winning doubles duos.
• East Rowan’s tennis team won 9-0 against Cox Mill to open SPC play on Monday.
Ike Emerson, Justin Allen, Chance Brown, Robert Gray, Evan Rogers and Jeremy Price won singles matches for the Mustangs (2-1).
Allen and Price won tiebreakers.
In doubles, Emerson-Brown, Allen-Rogers and Gray-Price were winners.
East is at home today against Albemarle in a non-conference match.
Davie’s Lake Billings, Isaiah Whitley, Preston Beauchamp, Joshua Lankford, Nathan Howard, Alex Gobble, Jack Robertson and Parker Correll were All-CPC wrestlers. Alex Gobble (182) was the league’s most outstanding wrestler from 152-285 pounds.
• Davie’s Danielle Wood, Jacob Sink and Nick Sinopoli were All-CPC swimmers.
• Davie’s Maddy Zaferatos was named to the All-CPC girls basketball team.
West Forsyth’s Jazmine Jones was the CPC Player of the Year. West Forsyth’s LaQuanda Quick was CPC Coach of the Year.
• Davie’s Peyton Sell was named to the All-CPC boys basketball team. Mount Tabor’s Austin Hatfield is the CPC Player of the Year. Mount Tabor’s Andy Muse is the CPC Coach of the Year.
Cox Mill won 10-8 over South Rowan in a nine-inning SPC struggle on Monday.
South was hurt by six physical errors — and some mental mistakes.
Logan Lowery pitched all the way and struck out 13 for the Raiders. She allowed eight hits and three walks.
Lowery and Carolina Hubbard had two hits each. Hubbard, Abby Fields and Kacie Stamey had doubles.
South (1-3, 1-2) plays at home today against Carson.
• A.L. Brown (4-1) won 7-0 against North Meck in its MECKA opener on Monday and plays Vance today.
The feature baseball game today is the SPC contest between South Rowan and West Rowan at West.
Both are unbeaten in the SPC. The varsity game will start at about 6:30, following the jayvee action.
• East Rowan announced it will make up a game with Glenn on Saturday at East. The jayvees will play at 1, with the varsity to follow.
West Rowan won 2-0 in overtime against Northwest Cabarrus in SPC soccer on Monday.
Mariah Coleman scored in the first overtime period unassisted.
Josie Heglar scored in the second OT period on an assist by Coleman.
• Salisbury’s soccer team won 7-0 against Albemarle on Monday. Ceci Cardelle had a hat trick for the Hornets (2-0). Kate Grant scored two goals, and Maddie Labovitz and Katie Bullock had one each. It was the first goal for Bullock.
Assists went to Maddie Labovitz, Grant, Bullock, Nellie Brown, and Emma Labovitz. Juliana Anderson got the shut out in goal.
Next for Salisbury is Davie at home on Wednesday.
Salisbury’s boys shot 159 at Sapona on Monday to edge Davie (160) and West Davidson (164). Eric Edwards and Gabe Steinman shot 37s for the Hornets. Chris Queen shot 41, and Robbie Bergstone shot 44.
Wesley Sink led Davie with a 39, while Nathan Curry shot 39 to lead the Green Dragons.
Alex Dantzler scored in overtime to lift Catawba to a 12-11 victory against Florida Tech on Monday.
Catawba will begin spring football practice on Wednesday, March 19, at 4 p.m.
The team will hold scrimmages on Wednesdays and Saturdays that are open to the public. The official spring game is set for April 12.
• Former Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore was inducted into the Southern Conference Hall of Fame on Monday.