Witness calls 911 after roadside chair attack
By Shavonne Potts
CHINA GROVE — No arrests have been made after a local man was struck over the head with a folding chair in an incident witnessed by a passerby.
The roadside attack unfolded Tuesday on N.C. 153 in China Grove and was witnessed by a motorist. The 43-year-old man told Rowan County Sheriff’s Office deputies that he let an acquaintance borrow money to get medication. The victim was driven to a local pharmacy by the acquaintance and the acquaintance’s girlfriend.
The witness told deputies he saw a fight and a man struck in the head with a metal folding chair. The witness called 911. The witness saw someone else grab the person who hit the victim and usher them into a nearby pickup. The assailant sped off in the truck. The witness attempted to take a cellphone picture, but the license plate was not clear.
When deputies arrived at the scene, the victim was still there and told them he knew who attacked him.
The victim was taken to the hospital by ambulance with an obvious head injury.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports
• A woman reported on Tuesday someone stole her vehicle from the 7900 block of U.S. 52, Rockwell.
• Cornerstone Pentecostal Church reported on Tuesday a larceny occurred in the 300 block of Webb Road.
• A man reported on Tuesday he was the victim of an assault in the 100 block of Westhaven Way, China Grove.
• A man reported on Tuesday he was the victim of identity theft while in the 100 block of Spicewood Lane.
• A woman reported on Tuesday she was the victim of an assault with a gun while in the 11100 block of U.S. 52, Rockwell.
• Aljquan Hugue, 26, was charged on Tuesday with malicious conduct by prisoner while at the Rowan County Detention Center.
• Christopher Paul Powell, 37, was charged on Tuesday with felony breaking and entering while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Floyd Oscar Smith, 76, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault while in the 100 block of Westhaven Way, China Grove.
In Salisbury Police Department reports
• A man reported on Wednesday he was the victim an armed robbery while sleeping in his car at Rowan Helping Ministries, 226 N. Long St.
• Someone shot out a traffic light on Wednesday at the intersection of 899 Brenner Ave. and Old Wilkesboro Road.
• Goodwill reports several items of clothing were stolen from a donation box on Wednesday outside the resale store, 836 W. Jake Alexander Blvd.
• A man reported on Wednesday someone stole items that belonged to him from the 400 block of Ackert Avenue.
• Fred Gerome Miller, 57, was charged on Thursday with felony possession of a firearm by a felon while in the 500 block of West Horah and South Caldwell streets.
By Shavonne Potts email@example.com SALISBURY — Rowan County Sheriff’s Office investigators are looking into the disappearance of a High Point... read more