Woman charged with panhandling near flea market gives false name
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, July 8, 2020
By Shavonne Potts
SALISBURY — A local woman cited for panhandling near the Webb Road Flea Market was charged after giving a trooper a fake name.
The woman, Melody Jo Edwards, 45, whose address is listed as the streets of Salisbury, was cited for soliciting from the highway, according to N.C. State Highway Patrol Trooper J.T. Simmons.
Simmons said the woman’s location could have impeded traffic and they had received complaints about someone standing near the shoulder of the off-ramp holding a sign asking for money.
Edwards provided the trooper with a name but did not have identification on her so he took her picture. He was later contacted by someone who said Edwards gave them her name and provided the trooper with the correct name. He was able to search a database to confirm the person he had stopped was Edwards.
The Highway Patrol issued a warrant for her arrest for providing false information. Edwards was later charged with misdemeanor resist, obstruct, delay an officer. She was also charged with a misdemeanor probation violation from Iredell County and failure to appear in Cabarrus County.
She was issued an $8,000 secured bond.
In Salisbury Police Department reports
• Jamie Lee Johnson, 33, was charged Monday with misdemeanor simple possession while in the 600 block of Gold Hill Drive and Old Concord Road.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports
• A woman reported Friday she was the victim of attempted murder while in the 100 block of Grandmothers Circle.
• A woman reported Friday someone broke into her property in the 2600 block of Wind Swept Way, Rockwell.
• A man reported Friday someone broke into his property in the 100 block of Oak Drive.
• A man reported Friday someone broke into his property and attempted to break into a trailer while in the 1000 block of Mount Hope Church Road.
• A woman reported Friday a break-in occurred in the 7500 block of Beaver Road, Kannapolis.
• A man reported Friday someone stole items from his residence in the 200 block of Scrub Pine Road.
• A woman reported Saturday someone stole cellphones and a lawnmower deck while in the 400 block of Goodwin Road.
• Curt’s Variety and Discount reported Sunday someone stole a motor and home decorations from the 7400 block of East N.C. 152, Rockwell.
• A man reported Sunday someone stole a utility trailer from the 2300 block of Mount Hope Church Road.
• A woman reported Sunday she was the victim of assault while in the 900 block of Amity Hill Road, Cleveland.
• A woman reported Sunday that a break-in occurred in the 200 block of Brooks Link Road, Rockwell.
• Colt Clinton Yates, 38, was charged Friday with felony breaking and entering in the 100 block of Excel Drive, Kannapolis.
• Lora Arvoina Carpenter, 41, was charged on Friday with felony identity theft while in the 2600 block of Wind Swept Way, Rockwell.
• Jordan McKay Fritz, 20, was charged on Friday with felony breaking and entering motor vehicles while at the Rowan County Detention Center.
• Jessica Nicole Barnes, 31, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor assault on a law enforcement officer while in the 900 block of St. Matthew’s Church Road.