David Freeze: Journey hits halfway mark with two days left on Cassiar Highway

Published 11:15 pm Thursday, July 4, 2019

My night stealth camping at the Bob Quinn rest area and airport went just fine in the tent.

However, mosquitoes were ready for war at 5 a.m. I got bit a bunch more but finally won and left to take on the next mission.

I had 64 miles to Tatogga, British Columbia, Canada, the first chance to buy something to eat. That stop had a good restaurant, a gas and fuel stop, a motel and flying service for airplane sightseeing.

Those 64 miles didn’t go quickly. There were lots of hills that I remember going straight up.

The only other town was Iskut, with a bunch of houses and an excellent convenience store. It was one of the best I have seen.

I got some great food for the evening and water to make it to Deese Lake on Saturday, the last place possible to buy snacks on the Cassiar Highway.

With a little humor, I am well over halfway on my journey as this unusual road continues. I am going to do everything in my power to finish off the road in two more long days. That is a big question mark.

I am ready for the Alaska Highway, the next main road on this journey. That will have to be after I survive a night square in the middle of bear country. I am in the tent and typing my story and hoping that no bear comes by. I saw three more big black bears today, a fox, a lynx and two huge beavers the night before.

There is plenty of older bear scat close by. I stopped at several other spots and ruled them out because there was more scat nearby. I quickly ate my three bananas and left the peelings at a previous spot.

Also, my last chance at Wi-Fi will be when I pick up the food. I can’t wait to go back to cellphone coverage and multiple Wi-Fi access spots.

I had two interesting meetings today (Friday, June 28). Julien and Frederic Galliard, of Belgium, met me going in opposite directions, riding to New York City from Anchorage, Alaska.

We talked about the beauty of this road but the lack of everything and the high price of what they do have. I really enjoyed talking to them and know they will have a great time this summer.

I also met Mike Miron, of Port Huron, Michigan, who is riding from near the Arctic Circle to Montana. He was taking a rest and worried about spoke issues, needing a bike shop that won’t be found until in Prince George.

Several things have happened that seem interesting. There are lots of new bridges over the streams and rivers and many have been built with wood oak floors to drive over.

I noticed that early in the morning, you can see the wet bear tracks on the pavement.

Often in the distance you can hear the sound of rushing water, but the size doesn’t often match the noise.

I am staying stocked with the back up emergency Pop-Tarts. They are easy to carry and good sources of energy.

And the sight of a big downhill just produces another bigger climb.

Just 78 miles was all I could swing today (Friday, June 28), and I must do more Saturday.

I hope communication will return soon and I look forward to answering your emails. I need prayers as always.

David Freeze is a Salisbury Post contributor who is biking from Nevada to Alaska. He can be reached at David.freeze@ctc.net while on his journey.