Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. What is planned for the former Ryan’s Buffet restaurant property at 730 Jake Alexander Blvd. in Salisbury?
A. A Golden Corral restaurant
B. A Culver’s restaurant
C. A QT gas/convenience store
D. A Fast Freddy’s restaurant
2. Among Rowan County municipalities, Kannapolis, which is partly in Rowan, saw the biggest population increase (2%) between 2017 and 2018 Census estimates. Since 2010, Kannapolis’ population has increased by 16.6%. In round numbers, what was Kannapolis’ population in 2018?
3. A New York Times bestselling writer was the featured author at Friends of Rowan Public Library’s annual meeting this past Thursday. Who was the author?
A. Robert MacFarland
B. Wiley Cash
C. Kate Atkinson
D. Mona Awad
4. A large crowd of parents, colleagues and community supporters for suspended Coach Brian Hightower showed up at last Tuesday’s meeting of the Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education. What sport does Hightower coach at East Rowan High?
5. The Blanche and Julian Robertson Family Foundation’s teacher awards for 2019 went to Abby Covington of Millbridge Elementary School and Zach Overcash of Carson High School. The awards make it possible for Covington and Overcash to travel to what country as part of GoGlobal NC?
6. Michael Taylor, chaplain for the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office, is recruiting new participants for the Shield-a-Badge program, which he launched 24 years ago. What’s the primary purpose of the Shield-a-Badge program?
A. New recruits agree to set aside their pocket change for a year, after which they contribute it toward new bulletproof vests
B. Participants agree to accompany a deputy to church once a month
C. Participants ride a day with their assigned deputy at least six times a year
D. Each volunteer commits to praying for an assigned officer for a year or longer
7. A Rowan County bridegroom, Kenneth Wayne Mills, allegedly was shot in both legs the day of his wedding by his new brother-in-law, Michael Ray Macy. Authorities said an argument over what led to the shooting?
A. The size of the wedding cake
B. The money being paid to the wedding photographer
C. The writing of “Just Married” on a vehicle
D. An outstanding debt owed by the bridegroom
8. Salisbury Symphony Maestro David Hagy, who has two master’s degrees and a doctorate, still gives much credit for his career in music to the public school system of what city?
9. The 2019 class of inductees into the Salisbury-Rowan Sports Hall of Fame has been announced. The inductees will include Shayla Fields, Mike Gurley, Bobby Parnell, Donald Jenkins and the late Scott Young. Fields’ standout basketball career at Salisbury High propelled her to play for what Atlantic Coast Conference school?
A. N.C. State
B. Florida State
C. Georgia Tech
D. Virginia Tech
10. This past Wednesday, members of an organization made a day trip by train to Salisbury, where they toured several places and heard numerous presentations. What was the name of this visiting group?
A. The Greater New Bern Historical Association
B. The N.C. Historic Preservation Association
C. The Wilson Downtown Authority
D. The Salisbury-Rowan Society of the Triangle
Answers to news quiz:
ROCKWELL — A free lunch will be available for all military veterans and active duty military personnel Wednesday at Lady... read more