Blotter: Teen sets fire to junk vehicle
By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — A 14-year-old was accused with setting fire to a van parked at a neighbor’s home, according to the Salisbury Police Department.
The van, which the owner said wasn’t valued at much but he was working on it, was smoldering after the teen was seen in the area.
The owner doused the front seat with water to extinguish the fire. He told police he had seen the teenager in the area before the fire.
The boy lives about two blocks away, and his mother told police officers that she has been having problems with him. The neighbor declined to press charges because he said the vehicle wasn’t worth anything.
The incident occurred Friday.
In other Salisbury police reports:
• A student at Henderson Independent High school overdosed Friday after another student gave him an unidentified pill. Police said the student became drowsy after taking the pill. The student refused to provide police with the name of the person who gave him the pill.
• A woman on Saturday reported credit card fraud in the 300 block of Faith Road.
• A man reported Sunday that items were stolen from his home in the 1800 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• A woman on Sunday reported an assault in the 200 block of Faith Road.
• A woman reported Sunday that her boyfriend threatened to burn her house down and poured gasoline around it in the 700 block of South Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue.
• Circle K reported Sunday that a man used a counterfeit $50 on two occasions on the same night at the store, 1015 E. Innes St.
• A man on Sunday reported an assault in the 1800 block of Statesville Boulevard.
• A man on Sunday said a television was stolen from his apartment in the 800 block of Reeves Street.
• Mid-Atlantic Clothing on Sunday reported a larceny at 850 W. Jake Alexander Blvd.
• A man reported Sunday that he was robbed and held against his will at Murphy Express, 1010 Freeland Drive.
• Karen Lynn Oglesby, 55, was charged with driving while impaired and felony financial transaction card theft in the 400 block of East Lafayette and North Long streets.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• Dunkin’ Donuts on Thursday reported credit card fraud at 715 W. Jake Alexander Blvd.
• Taurean Jamaal Goodman, 35, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor possession of marijuana in the 100 block of Benton Road.
• Ashanti Jones, 34, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor possession of marijuana in the 100 block of Benton Road.
• Quentin Dwight Carpenter, 35, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 1200 block of Sells Road.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
SALISBURY — The West Innes Street Dairy Queen is offering a free ice cream cone today to raise money for... read more