Police blotter: Car arson reported
SALISBURY — The arson of a motor vehicle was reported Thursday, according to the Salisbury Police Department.
The car was found on fire in the 100 block of East 16th Street about 2:20 a.m. The vehicle, a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero, is registered to Lisa Selena Smith-Torrence of Spencer. The vehicle was reported in several suspicious-vehicle calls over the past several weeks.
“So we’ve had several calls about this car all over town,” said Capt. Melonie Thompson with the Salisbury Police Department.
Smith-Torrence’s son, Superior Smith, had been driving the car for some time. When contacted, Smith-Torrence said the vehicle had broken down at the location and cited problems with the battery and alternator.
Police ruled the fire suspicious and are investigating.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
- Tools used in the renovation of Aldi’s on Avalon Drive were reported stolen Thursday. According to police, roughly $140 worth of tools were missing. Suspects were identified, and a visit to one of the suspect’s houses recovered several of the tools. No charges were filed.
- A man reported the theft of a moped Thursday in the 500 block of Brenner Avenue.
- A man reportedfraud by false pretense Thursday in the 100 block of South Avalon Drive.
- A larceny was reported Thursday in the 500 block of Muirfield Way.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
- A woman reported credit card fraud Thursday in the 200 block of Prospect Trail.
- Obscene material and pornography was reported Thursday in the 200 block of Davies Circle, Cleveland.
- Items were stolen from a motor vehicle Thursday in the 100 block of Elizabeth Avenue.
- A woman reported a larceny Thursday in the 100 block of Tanglewood Drive, Kannapolis.
- A man reported a larceny Thursday in the 600 block of Blue Heron Road.
- Rowan Regional Medical Center reported a larceny Thursday.
- A man reported an attempted burglary Thursday in the 600 block of Bradshaw Road, Mount Ulla.
- A woman reported items stolen Thursday in the 100 block of Bee Tree Lane.
- Leslie Marie Long, 35, was charged Thursday with larceny.
- Taylor Wayne Britt, 22, was charged Thursday with assault with a deadly weapon.
- Harley Dustin Mosher, 30, was charged Thursday with simple assault.
- Andrew Lewis Hower, 20, was charged Thursday with possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance in the 2800 bock of Grace Church Road.