Weather changes dates for Catawba College students
Catawba College administrators have and are continuing to monitor forecasts for winter weather in the Piedmont area of North Carolina beginning Friday afternoon, Jan. 6, and continuing through Saturday, Jan. 7.
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for the Piedmont beginning at 1 p.m. Friday, Jan. 6 and continuing through Saturday, Jan. 7.
Current forecast models call for a substantial amount of snowfall (between 6 and 8 inches) in our area, beginning as rain/snow mix late Friday afternoon and evening and becoming a heavy snowfall overnight Friday into Saturday morning before concluding sometime Saturday afternoon. Low temperatures on Saturday night, Sundayand into Monday will likely prevent a substantial melting of this snowfall and is expected to make roadways and travel treacherous.
Due to this Winter Storm Warning and forecast, Catawba College has made these decisions:
- Move-in for returning and new students will now be Monday, Jan. 9, rather than Sunday, Jan. 8 as originally scheduled. Based on unfolding weather conditions further updates may be issued as warranted.
- Orientation for new, transfer, and re-entering students will now be held on Tuesday, Jan, 10, beginning at 8:30 a.m.
- The first day for the spring semester classes for students enrolled in the day program will now be Wednesday, Jan. 11, rather than Tuesday, Jan. 10 as originally scheduled.
- The first day of classes for students enrolled in the SEGS program as well as registration for SEGS program classes will be Tuesday, Jan. 10, rather than Monday, Jan. 9 as originally scheduled.
- Catawba and Brevard have agreed to postpone Saturday afternoon’s (Jan. 7) SAC basketball games until Sunday, Jan. 8, at 2 p.m. for women and 4 p.m. for men. If further rescheduling must occur due to the weather, the information will be posted on the Catawba athletics site (www.gocatawbaindians.com)
Because weather conditions will vary across our state and geographic region, each member of our campus community is asked to exercise caution and make personal safety an individual priority. Catawba students, parents, faculty and staff should all monitor the weather for our area as well as travel conditions and routes before deciding to travel to campus.
Updates will be posted on the Catawba College home page, Facebook and Twitter, will be sent out via Catawba campus email and via CatawbAlerts over the course of the next few days. If a delay or closing of the college is warranted because of weather conditions on Monday, Jan. 9, all of these aforementioned outlets, as well as area media outlets will share such news.
As always, Catawba’s Public Safety is on campus 24/7 to respond to emergency instances as necessary at 704-637-4000 or via Public Safety’s direct cell phone number (in case of power outage affecting the college phone system) at 704-202-1734.