Lyerly, Childress fall at NC Junior Championship
WILSON — Salisbury’s Michael Childress and Nick Lyerly dropped matches and were eliminated from the 49th North Carolina Junior Boys Championship here Thursday at Wilson Country Club.
Both Lyerly and Childress had won two matches each on Wednesday to move into the round of 16. Lyerly, a rising senior at East Rowan, won his morning match yesterday to advance to the quarterfinals, but Childress, a rising junior at Cannon School, lost his early contest.
Lyerly defeated Avery Price of Gastonia, 6 and 5, to move into the quarterfinals. Meanwhile, Childress fell to Alex Huml of Cary, 1-up.
Lyerly, 17, who became the youngest player to ever win the North Carolina Amateur last Sunday, battled Alex Goff of Kings Mountain in the quarterfinals before also losing, 1-up.
Goff , a 16-year-old rising junior, is currently ranked 62nd among North Carolina junior boys. In addition to winning last weekend’s N.C. Amateur, Lyerly is the No. 1-ranked junior golfer in the state and was the 2015 N.C. Junior Golfer of the Year.
Goff had five birdies during his win over Lyerly, including back-to-back on the 16th and 17th holes. He had a two-putt par on No. 18 to seal the victory.
Goff will play Ben Woodruff of Huntersville in one semifinal on Friday morning. The other semifinal pits Grant Powell of Colfax against Rhodes Karriker of Matthews.
Childress was seeded No. 3 in the event, after firing a 67 in qualifying on Tuesday. He lost in a playoff for medalist honors and the No. 2 seed to Tripp Summerlin of Summerfield.
Defending champion Jack Massei of Cary was the No. 1 seed but lost to Woodruff in yesterday’s quarterfinals, 2 and 1.
Lyerly shot a 75 during the qualifying round and was seeded 45th. Goff was the No. 5 seed after firing a two-under par 70 in qualifying.
The tournament is for players ages 12 to 18. Ten qualifiers broke par on Tuesday.
49TH NORTH CAROLINA JUNIOR BOYS CHAMPIONSHIP
Wilson Country Club — Wilson, NC
Match-play results for Thursday, June 23.
ROUND OF 16
(1) Jack Massei, Cary, def. (16) Tim Bunten, Concord, 3 and 2.
(41) Ben Woodruff, Huntersville, def. (8) Matthew Sharpstene, Asheville, 1-up.
(45) Nick Lyerly, Salisbury, def. (4) Avery Price, Gastonia, 6 and 5.
(5) Alex Goff, Kings Mountain, def. (12) Lansdon Robbins, Davidson, 2 and 1.
(15) Dalton Mauldin, Sanford, def. (31) Joey Funderburg, Wilmington, 3 and 2.
(10) Grant Powell, Colfax, def. (7) Grant Smith, Charlotte, 19 holes.
(51) Alex Huml, Cary, def. (3) Michael Childress, Salisbury, 1-up.
(43) Rhodes Karriker, Matthews, def. (6) Zach Caudill, Wilkesboro, 1-up.
(41) Woodruff def. (1) Massei, 2 and 1.
(5) Goff def. (45) Lyerly, 1-up.
(10) Powell def. (15) Mauldin, 5 and 4.
(43) Karriker def. (51) Huml, 3 and 2.
Goff vs. Woodruff; Powell vs. Karriker.
Goff-Woodruff winner vs. Powell-Karriker winner.