Support Groups, March 2016
Published 3:02 pm Wednesday, March 23, 2016
• Celebrate Recovery, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Christ-centered 12-step program for alcoholism, co-dependency, grief, divorce, sexual abuse, domestic violence, drug, sexual, food, gambling addictions. Trading Ford Baptist Church, 3600 Long Ferry Road. 704-637-7523 or 704-633-5986.
• Narconon, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. seven days a week. Nonprofit organization to helping those with drug addictions, provides addiction help through consultation. 1-800-556-8885.
• Overcomers in Christ, 7 p.m. Mondays. Jericho Outreach addiction recovery program. Grace Bible Church, 6725 E. NC 152, Rockwell. 704-279-6820 or Overcomersinchrist@yahoo.com. Also, 7 p.m. Wednesdays, Rockwell Public Library basement. 704-213-6712.
• Recovery Anonymous, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Sundays. For anyone affected by the disease of chemical dependency. Suite 211, Kent Building, 909 S. Main St. 704-637-0052.
• Narcotics Anonymous:
O=open • C=closed • D=discussion • AF= alternating format • WA or 1/2WA=wheelchair accessible • CL=candlelight meeting • BS=basic text study • LS=literature study • All meetings are nonsmoking
—Sunday: 6:30 p.m., Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA.
—Monday: Noon, Omega Group step study, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA • 7:30 p.m. Happy Joyous & Free, First United Methodist Church, 209 E. Mill St., Landis, OD WA.
—Tuesday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church,1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA • Noon, Embracing Reality, First Presbyterian Church, 201 Vance St., Kannapolis, AF WA • 6:30 p.m. Omega Group, Gethsemane Baptist Church, 719 Caldwell St., BS WA • 7:30 p.m. Free to Live, New Hope Lutheran Church, 1615 Brantley Road, Kannapolis, OD BS.
—Wednesday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church,1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, OD AF WA • 7 p.m. Omega Group, Moore’s Chapel, Monroe and Partee streets, OD.
—Thursday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills. LS AF WA • Noon, Embracing Reality, First Presbyterian Church, 201 Vance St. Kannapolis, O WA • 7 p.m. Omega Group, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 201 W. Council St., CD LS WA enter at Boy Scout Hut.
—Friday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA, spiritual discussion • 7 p.m. Omega Group, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 131 W. Council St., AF • 8 p.m., Free to Live, New Hope Lutheran Church, 1615 Brantley Road, Kannapolis, OD AF.
—Saturday: 7 p.m., Omega Group, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 201 W. Council St., enter at Boy Scout Hut, OD WA .
Narcotics Anonymous Helpline, 704-640-6488.
Alternative: Narconon, 800-431-1754 or DrugAbuseSolution.com
• Alzheimer’s’ Support Group (affiliated with Western NC Chapter of Alzheimer’s Assoc.) 5:30-6:30 p.m. fourth Thursdays (Jan.-Oct.), Rufty Holmes Senior Center, facilitated by Trinity at Home. Teresa Dakins 704-603-2778 or Deborah Tillman 704-603-2779.
• Alzheimer’s/other dementias support group, 6:30 p.m. third Thursdays. Horizon Bay Assisted Living of Concord, 1501 Zion Church Road E., Concord. For families dealing with Alzheimer’s or other dementias. 704-782-1100.
• John Miller colon cancer support group. Info: Eva White, 704-212-2362.
• Living In Pink breast cancer support group, 6 p.m. first Thursdays except July. Maupin Ave. Presbyterian Church, 100 Maupin Ave.(corner of Fulton St.) downstairs fellowship hall. Rebecca H. Smith 704-210-6870; Vicki Rhyne 704-640-8088; Jennifer Overcash 704-855-3372.
• Celebration of Life for breast cancer survivors, 1 p.m. second Mondays at Ryan’s Steakhouse, Jake Alexander Blvd. Also an active Relay For Life team. email@example.com or 980-234-4479.
• Cancer support group at Lake Norman Regional Medical Center (Mooresville), 11:45 a.m. second Tuesdays, open to everyone, no registration. Free lunch served. 704-660-4859, or Mitzie.McCurdy@lnrmc.com
Diseases, Disorders and Conditions
• Autism Society of NC, Rowan chapter, Partners in Learning Child Development Center at Catawba College. 704-638-9020 for dates and times of meetings.
• Autism support group, 6:30 p.m. first Thursdays. Medical Arts Building classrooms, Carolinas Medical Center-NorthEast, 920 Church St. North, Concord. For caregivers of children with autism and neuropsychiatric conditions. 704-403-2660 or www.northeastpedsneuro.org.
• Bariatric support group, first Tuesdays, 7-8 p.m. Classroom A2A Novant Health Rowan Medical Center. Fellowship, nutrition education, exercise, lifestyle changes, behavioral modification. Free. Suzie Dinse, RN, 704-210-5474.
• Cardiac support group, 7 p.m. third Tuesdays in Feb., June, Oct. Cardiac Rehabilitation Wellness Center, second floor Kiser Medical Building, Novant Health Rowan Medical Center. 704-210-5412.
• Celiac support group at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center. Anna DeBoyace, RD, 704-210-5240.
• Diabetes support group, 7-8:30 p.m. first Mondays. Faith Baptist Church fellowship hall. Refreshments. Group leader Freda Horne RN, 704-279-2463.
• Diabetes support group, Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, noon-1 p.m. fourth Mondays. Burlington Room, Charles Mack Citizens Center, Mooresville. Free. 704-660-4859.
• Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue support group of Denton, 6 p.m. first Thursdays. Expanded to include all chronic illnesses such as RSD, migraine, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, anyone having to cope with pain in their lives. Central UMC, First St. in Denton. Addie Phillips, 336-859-9122, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Epilepsy support of Rowan/Cabarrus, 6-7:30 p.m. second Tuesdays. NorthEast Medical Center, Concord. Sara, 704-403-1986, Sarah.Powers@carolinashealthcare.org or Carole, 704-639-0847, youngcarole@hotmail. com
• God’s Special Angels, for families with children with Down syndrome. Meets periodically at Partners in Learning Child Development and Family Resource Center at Catawba College. Email email@example.com or 704-68-9020.
• Lyme Disease Support Group, Celebration of Hope, Piedmont NC, fourth Sundays, 3 p.m., Lyerly Building, 523 S. Main St. Facebook: Celebration of Hope Piedmont NC. Contact Patti Lyerly, 704-639-9973, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Multiple Sclerosis self-help support group, 6:30 p.m. second Mondays except June-July-Aug. “Our Inspiration” for those newly diagnosed and/or with MS. J.F. Hurley YMCA, Jake Alexander Blvd., 704-798-3341, email@example.com
• Multiple Myeloma support of Salisbury/Rowan, 10:30 a.m.-noon, second Mondays, RPL Stanback Room. Barbara Barbour 704-762-9723 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Parent-to-Parent support for parents of children with disabilities, chronic illnesses, emotional or behavioral challenges and parents of premature infants, through Family Support Network of Southern Piedmont. 1-800-650-6526 or 704- 788-1616.
• Rowan Parkinson’s support group, 1 p.m., first Tuesdays. First Presbyterian Church, Fisher St. Peggy Wilson, 704-633-3181.
• Sarcoidosis support group, 1-3 p.m. third Saturdays, Rowan Public Library. Share, learn, network for emotional and practical support. Delilah Blackwell, 704-638-0060, 704-797-6692, blackwelldelilah@yahoo. com
• Stroke support group at Lake Norman Medical Center (Mooresville), 1:30-3 p.m. first Thursdays, War Memorial building, 220 N. Maple St. Free, open to everyone. 704-660-4859 or Mitzie.McCurdy@LNRMC.com
• TOPS means Take Off Pounds Sensibly: One hour support group meetings, annual cost $28. www.tops.org/ or 1-800-YEA-TOPS. Local contact: Laura Wickwar, 919-621-3613, Laurasgw@gmail.com
Monday: Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 10 a.m. Betty Camerlin 704-856-0205;
Monday: Carillon Assisted Living, 1915 Mooresville Rd., Country Kitchen room, weigh-in 5:30 p.m., meeting 6 p.m. Maggie Musselwhite, 704-754-6158;
Tuesday: 795 Cannon St., Rockwell (fellowship building of Foursquare Church), weigh-in 5:30 p.m., meeting 6 p.m. Denise Jacobs, 704-279-5164, 704-642-6518, email@example.com
Tuesday: Lane Street Baptist Church, 2532 Lane St., Kannapolis, weigh-in 9:30 a.m., meeting 10 a.m. Linda Ramsey, 704-938-3634.
Thursday: Ursinus United Church of Christ, 116 W. Main St., Rockwell, weigh-in 6 p.m., meeting 7 p.m. Mary Coburn, 704-970-7224.
• Caring Friends grief support group for parents who have lost infants. Meets as needed. 704-636-7803 or 704-279-6279.
• Circle of Hope, 7-8:30 p.m. second Thursdays. For parents grieving the loss of a child. 2290 Statesville Blvd. Lori Yang, 704-630-0319.
• Coping with Grief group support for anyone mourning the loss of a loved one. Call for current schedule. Rowan Regional Hospice, 704 637-7645.
• Rowan Hospice & Palliative CARE grief support group. Monthly, day support groups from 1:30-2:30 p.m. Also, Spring and Fall evening 6-week support groups. Susanna Lund 704-637-7645 or 336-331-1348.
• TLC support group for widows/widowers, third Wednesdays, Powles Funeral Home. Russ Roakes, 704-279-7241.
• GriefShare recovery seminar/support group: Mondays, 6-8 p.m., Jan. 25- April 18. First Baptist Church, China Grove,302 Patterson St., 704-857-5415.
• GriefShare recovery seminar/support group: Mondays, 6-8 p.m., March 7-June 6. Central Baptist Church,1810 Moose Road, Kannapolis. 704-467-2795 .
• Services for Women and children ages (age 5-12):
— Sexual Assault Group and HERO for children Tuesdays 5-6 p.m.
— Domestic Violence and HERO for children Thursdays 5-6:30 p.m.
— Call 704-636-4718 press 1 for information and questions.
• NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness), 7 p.m., first and third Tuesdays. For family, friends, individuals suffering with mental illness: support, education, advocacy. Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 1908 Statesville Blvd., pull around back. Peggy Mangold, 704-640-8811, firstname.lastname@example.org or Joyce Parra 704-645-1030.
• Rowan County Foster and Adoptive Parent Association, 6:30 p.m. second Mondays, Partners In Learning Center. 704-245-8055, ask for Jennifer.
• Rowan Brain Injury support group, 7 p.m. fourth Thursdays. 108 Dorsett Drive off Statesville Blvd. To support people with acquired brain injury and/or TBI, their families, care givers or anyone interested. Nadine Cherry 980-622-7732, Mary Sechler 704-905-2353, The Arc of Rowan 704-637-1521.
• PFLAG (Parents, Friends and Families of Lesbians and Gays), 10 a.m. third Saturdays, Haven Lutheran Church, 207 W. Harrison St. 704-213-0181 or salisburypflag@ bellsouth.net or email@example.com
• Salisbury Mothers of Multiples, 6:30 p.m. third Thursdays. For families of twins, triplets and more. First UMC, N. Church St. Suzannah Callahan, 704-647-0445.
Listings based on last best information received. Confirmation recommended before attending.
To update your information, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to Lifestyle, SUPPORT GROUP UPDATE, Salisbury Post, POBox 4639, Salisbury, NC 28144, or call 704-797-4243.