Traffic stop leads to brief chase, arrest
Police ended up on a car chase on Veterans Day after a man refused to comply with a traffic stop.
Salisbury Police report that Derrick Jay Brown, 27, pulled up to a traffic stop on the corner of Newsome Road and Park Avenue. According to the report, while officers were checking Brown’s license, they spotted a bag of marijuana in the car’s cup holder. When officers asked Brown to turn off the car so they could investigate, Brown allegedly refused and hit the gas. Police chased Brown onto Pinewood Avenue, where Brown left his car and allegedly began running.
Brown was arrested, but no illegal substances were found in the car. Brown was charged with resist, delay or obstructing a public officer, failure to appear and driving while license revoked. He has been placed in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $4,000 secured bond.
He has previously been charged in Rowan County with assault by pointing a gun, weapons possession by a felon, possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell, robbery with a dangerous weapon and possession of a controlled substance.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
- A woman reported that shots were fired at the 600 block of East Horah Street.
- A man reported that a residence was broken into at the 700 block of East Council Street Tuesday. He also reported that items were missing from the residence.
- Speedway at the 500 block of East Innes Street reported that someone tried to buy merchandise with a counterfeit $50 bill, Tuesday.
- Police seized a counterfeit North Carolina driver’s license Tuesday during a checkpoint at the intersection of Newsome Road and Park Avenue.
- An employee at Wendy’s on East Innes street reported that nearly $2,000 was stolen from her purse during her shift Wednesday.
- Police responded to report of a burglary and an assault in progress at the 400 block of West 15th Street.
- Todd Bruce Bentley, 48, was charged with larceny Monday at the 1400 block of West Innes Street.
- Sekou Oshante Bright 19, was charged with larceny Monday at the 300 block of Old Concord Road.
- Gaston Crosby, 50 was charged with assault on a female at the 1400 block of Van Nuys Street.
- Laquan Shaeed Davis, 22, was charged with larceny Wednesday at the 700 block of Holmes Street.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
- A woman reported an attempted vehicle break-in Tuesday at the 2700 block of Leonard Road.
- A woman reported a stolen license plate Tuesday at the 200 block of Sailboat Drive.
- Shelby Harkey, 16, was charged Tuesday at the 700 block of Crescent Road, Rockwell, with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
- Jimmy McFadden Menius, 53, was charged Tuesday at the 200 block of North Main Street with being a fugitive from justice.
- David Lester Craven, 67, was charged Tuesday at the 100 block of Sunny Lane with disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace.
The Livingstone College chapter of the NAACP is holding a rally at 11 a.m. Friday on the institution’s front lawn... read more