Crime blotter: Man learns in newspaper his name was used by drunk driver
A Salisbury man spotted a fraud when he read Saturday’s paper. Rasheek Tyrell Sankey was listed in Saturday’s Post as having been charged with impaired driving on Oct. 14. Sankey called the Salisbury Police Department Monday to inform police that he hadn’t been driving his car that day.
According to Sankey, on Oct. 14 he let a friend, Carlos Lamont Elder, borrow his car. Elder, 27, was pulled over that day at the 1800 block of West Innes Street and did not have his driver’s license with him. So he told the officer he was Sankey. When Sankey asked Elder why he’d given the wrong name, Elder allegedly replied that he didn’t have the money to pay for a DWI charge. Sankey reported him to the police.
Elder was charged Wednesday with obtaining property by false pretenses, identity theft, and larceny by servants and other employees — all felonies. He has been placed under a $5,000 secured bond.
Another man reported a fraud Tuesday, when an internet deal went bad. The man reported that he was shopping online for used golf carts.
His search began on Craigslist, but eventually led him to ebay, where he found a listing for a cart. Interested parties were asked to contact the seller for more information.
According to the report, the seller told the man the cart was $2,000, and asked him to purchase four Green Dot cards at $500 each. After he’d purchased the cards and given the seller the numbers, the man realized it was a scam and called Green Dot’s customer service. He was told that the cards had been activated, but that no transactions had occurred. They were able to cancel the cards.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
• A man reported Sunday that his backpack was stolen when he fell asleep in public while drunk at the 400 block of North Main Street.
• A man reported Monday that someone broke into his house at the 1300 block of Parkview Circle and stole two televisions.
• A woman reported Monday that a cellphone was stolen from her car at the 100 block of North Main Street.
• Premier Federal Credit Union at the 1600 block of South Main Street reported a fraud Tuesday.
• A man reported Tuesday that items were stolen from his vehicle while it was parked at the J.F. Hurley YMCA.
• A man reported Tuesday that a trailer was stolen from his property at the 1300 block of North Main Street.
• A woman reported Tuesday that an iPhone was stolen from her vehicle at the 2200 block of South Main Street.
• A man reported that his bicycle had been stolen Tuesday from the intersection of Old Plank Road and Partee Street.
• A woman reported an assault Tuesday at the 800 block of North Fulton Street.
• Iris Renee Smith, 55, was charged Sunday with larceny at Walmart.
• Onika Johanna Sterling, 25, and Andre Nettles, 47, were charged Sunday with possessing stolen goods at Walmart.
• Lauren Elizabeth Frick, 20, was charged with larceny on Sunday at Walmart.
• Kaitlyn Hayley Shuffler, 17, was charged at Walmart with larceny Sunday.
• Elijah Miguel Walker, 18, was charged with possessing stolen goods Sunday at Walmart.
• Zsuzsa Susana Godwin, 20, was charged Monday with simple assault at the 100 block of East Liberty Street.
• Macey Gail Trexler, 18, was charged Monday with larceny at Walmart.
• Belinda Walton Russell, 39, was charged Monday with larceny at Walmart.
• Tyler Knolls, 18, was charged Monday with larceny at Walmart.
• Jimmy Lee Harris, 34, was charged with trespass second degree Tuesday at the 1500 block of South Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• Ashley Lynn Bynum, 28, was charged with resist, delay, and obstructing a public officer Tuesday at Walmart.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A man reported Monday that a subject removed a utility trailer from his property at the 4200 block of Cauble Road by force.
• A man reported items stolen Monday from a car at the 200 block of Linn Avenue, China Grove.
• A woman reported Monday that some renters took property belonging to her at the 3200 block of Faith Road.
• A woman reported items stolen from her car at the 100 block of South Deerfield Circle, Monday.
• Love’s Travel Plaza at the 1100 block of Peeler Road reported a trailer stolen, Monday.
• A man reported a breaking and entering Monday at the 200 block of Brown Road, China Grove.
• A woman reported Monday that two dirt bikes had been stolen from her home at the 3600 block of Goodman Lake Road.
• A man was charged Monday for contributing to the delinquency of a minor resisting arrest, and assault on law enforcement at the 7100 block of Unity Church Road, Kannapolis.
• A man reported Monday that his home had been broken into and items stolen at the 7500 block of Spring Acres Drive, Kannapolis.
• An assault was reported Monday at the 100 block of Owens Drive.
• A man reported an assault Monday at the 11900 block of Shin Road, Mt. Ulla.
• Justin Taylor Moss, 26, was charged Monday for possessing stolen goods at the 300 block of Nazareth Home Road, Rockwell.
• Roger Dale Driver, 62, was charged at the 200 block of North Main Street with assault on a female, Monday.
• Charles June Presnell, 56, was charged Monday with possession with the intent to make, sell, or distribute at the 1300 block of Old Union Church Road.
• Melissa Anne Gee, 35, was charged Monday with resist, delay, or obstructing a public officer at the 7100 block of Unity Church Road, Kannapolis.
• Holly Dannielle Guy, 22, and Glenn Douglas Rogers, 25, were charged with possession of drug paraphernalia at the 100 block of Ganton Drive on Monday.
• Randy Lee Davis, 44 was charged Monday at the 200 block of Kay Street with being a fugitive from justice.