Blotter: Rockwell man cited for marijuana possession at traffic checkpoint
Published 12:00 am Saturday, August 1, 2015
By Shavonne Walker
A Rockwell man was issued a citation during a traffic checkpoint after Rowan County Sheriff’s officers discovered marijuana in his car’s console.
Christopher Verstage Ostle, 42, of the 300 block of Brown Street, was cited for misdemeanor maintaining dwelling or vehicle for controlled substance, misdemeanor possession of marijuana and misdemeanor drug paraphernalia.
Ostle drove up to a checkpoint at Gold Knob Road on Wednesday. The officer noted in his report he could smell marijuana coming from the car when Ostle rolled down the window. The officer asked if there was marijuana in the car and Ostle said he didn’t think so, the report said.
Ostle told the officer he’d smoked a few days ago. Ostle was asked to pull the vehicle to the side of the road and everyone inside, including a woman and two children, were asked to step out. Ostle then told the officer what he smelled was coming from the center console. The officer checked the console and found four grams of marijuana in a plastic bag along with two metal grinders. No other illegal substances were found in the car.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported on Wednesday someone damaged his mailbox at 5275 Stokes Ferry Road.
• A woman reported on Wednesday someone damaged her mailbox at 5265 Stokes Ferry Road.
• A woman reported on Wednesday her mailbox was damaged at 5395 Stokes Ferry Road.
• Billy Joel Campbell, 49, was charged on Wednesday with felony failure to notify of an address change as as a registered sex offender.
In police reports:
• A larceny was reported on Thursday from a vehicle parked at Cracker Barrel at 1070 Freeland Drive.
• A woman reported on Thursday her ex-boyfriend assaulted her in the 300 block of Crown Point Drive.
• Cody Boyd Brazeel, 22, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor assault on a female, misdemeanor injury to personal property, misdemeanor resist, obstruct, delay an officer and misdemeanor vandalism in the 300 block of Crown Point Drive.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.