Blotter: Man charged with groping jogger in downtown Salisbury
By Shavonne Walker
A Salisbury man was charged Saturday after he groped a jogger, authorities said, as he followed her on her route through downtown Salisbury.
Salisbury Police charged Richard Franklin Muttz, 33, of the 300 block of Vance Avenue, with misdemeanor sexual battery.
The woman was initially traveling on Lee and Liberty streets around 9 a.m. when a man on a bicycle rode near her, left and returned. She turned onto Fisher Street and then ran onto Main Street, all while the man continued to follow her, police said.
The woman ran along South Main Street and Military Avenue. The man grabbed her about the mid-section. She was able to push him away, a report said.
She flagged police down at South Main Street and gave them a description. Police caught up to a man who matched the description of the man who’d grabbed the woman.
Muttz was issued a $1,000 secured bond and has since been released from the Rowan County Detention Center.
In other police reports:
• A woman reported on Friday someone stole items from her vehicle that was parked in the 100 block of East Kerr Street.
• Enterprise Rendering Company reported on Friday someone stole used cooking oil from their container at 121 N. Long Street.
• A man reported on Friday someone burglarized his property in the 800 block of Lakewood drive.
• Police responded to a 3-year-old unattended in a locked vehicle in parking lot at 724 W. Jake Alexander Blvd.
• Quality Care Development Services reported Friday a vandalism occurred in the 300 block of Harrel Street.
• A man reported on Friday he was the victim of an assault with a gun in the 800 block of Green Street.
• An attempted larceny from a vehicle was reported on Friday in the 100 block of Clancy Street.
• A man reported on Saturday a larceny from his vehicle in the 400 block of Eastwood Drive.
• A man reported on Saturday someone was using his information for a credit card in the 1700 block of Chantilly Lane.
• A man reported on Saturday someone was using his personal checking account without being authorized in the 200 block of Cornwall Drive.
• Safrit Landscape Construction Co. reported on Saturday a vandalism in the 200 block of Willow Street and Van Nuys Street.
• A ma reported on Saturday his bike was stolen from the Wendy’s parking lot at 515 E. Innes St.
• A 14-year-old reported on Saturday his bike was stolen from the 1300 block of Larchmont Place.
• Historic Salisbury reported on Saturday a residence was burglarized at 305 E. Innes St.
• A woman reported on Saturday a bicycle was stolen from 505 Carolina Blvd.
• A woman reported on Saturday a bicycle was stolen from 507 Carolina Blvd.
• Police responded on Saturday to shots fired at the intersection of Airport Road and Dana Drive.
• A man reported on Sunday a burglary occurred at Days Inn, 321 Bendix Drive.
• Fat Jacks reported on Sunday two slot machines were damaged and money was taken at at 120 Military Avenue.
• A man reported on Sunday a burglary in the 700 block of Maple Avenue.
• City of Salisbury reported on Sunday a larceny in the 1300 block of West Horah Street.
• A woman reported on Sunday her friend threatened to shoot her in the face then kicked and hit her in the 1100 block of Bryce Avenue.
• A man reported on Sunday someone took items from his vehicle in the Food Lion parking lot, 251 Faith Road.
• A man got into a fight on Sunday Monday with a police officer and was charged with resist in the 300 block of West Innes and North Fulton streets.
• Laquesha Sharma Delores Hopkins, 23, was charged on Friday with misdemeanor possession of marijuana in the 1300 block of Kenly Street.
• Norman Allen Basinger, 55, was charged on Saturday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 600 block of East Cemetery Street.
• Darrell Wayne Parker, 51, was charged on Saturday with misdemeanor child abuse at Old Mocksville Road and Caldwell Street, Richfield.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.