Area Sports Briefs: Southern Rowan loses 2-1 at High Point
From staff reports
Southern Rowan lost 2-1 to High Point at Finch Field on Sunday to close the regular season.
Southern Rowan (11-11, 6-7) bounced back from Saturday’s debacle at Newman Park — a 22-2 loss — to play well against the league’s second-place team.
Matt Brown pitched a complete game for Southern Rowan and struck out seven. He held High Point to five hits.
Shaggy Wyatt drove in a run in the second inning as SR took a 1-0 lead.
High Point scored its two runs in the fourth on RBIs by Ryne Stanley and Corey Brandenburg.
High Point pitcher Taylor Sugg also went the distance on the mound. He fanned nine and allowed four hits.
High Point was playing the second game of a doubleheader. Post 87 (18-3, 10-2) also won against Mooresville on Sunday.
Livingstone graduate Quanera Hayes placed fifth in the USA Track and Field Championships in Oregon.
Hayes ran 51.27 in the final.
Allyson Felix won in 50.19 seconds.
The Asheville Tourists used a five-run third inning to beat the Kannapolis Intimidators 6-4 on Sunday.
John Ziznewski had two doubles and two RBIs for Kannapolis. Louie Lechich hit his fourth homer.
• Jerry Sands (Catawba) went 3-for-3 on Saturday for Columbus and drove in two runs in a 3-2 win against Durham.
Nick Lyerly (East Rowan) finished second in the Carolinas Junior PGA Championship held in Conway, S.C. Lyerly shot 68-69 — 137 and finished at 7-under, one shot behind winner Blake Taylor.
Jack Massei, who won the N.C. Junior Boys Championship at the Country Club of Salisbury, shot 76-70 — 146 and tied for 15th.
• The McCanless Couples played Captain’s Choice.
The team of Allen Drew, Azalee Story and Gene & Mary Seaford took first place.
The team of Ty & Beverly Cobb and Patrick & Sharon Miller finished second.
Sharon Miller won closest to the pin. Ty Cobb won longest putt.
• Sharon Miller and Azalee Story won the Gross Division of the McCanless Ladies Member/Member Tournament held on Sunday with a 71.
Mary Seaford and Robin Leslie won the Net Division via a scorecard playoff with a net score of 57.
Format for the event was two-person, better ball.
Carson won 9-2 against Rowan County on Saturday.
Maddux Holshouser pitched a complete game for Carson. He allowed four hits and struck out five.
Larson Beacham had two hits and four RBIs for Carson.
Chandler Lippard had two hits for Rowan County.
• Carson (16-8, 5-1) won the conference with a 9-3 league win against West Rowan on Sunday. Blake Blackmon was the winning pitcher. Cameron Prugh had three hits and two RBIs. Logan Ridenhour drove in two runs.
Payne Stohlsworth had two hits for West Rowan.
Carson will open the playoffs at home on July 4.
• West Rowan beat Carson 10-5 in Sunday’s non-conference game.
• Rowan County won 10-0 against Stanly on Sunday.