Kannapolis firefighter accused of shooting man after fight
By Shavonne Walker
KANNAPOLIS — No charges had been filed as of Friday against a Kannapolis firefighter accused of shooting a Charlotte man following a Thursday night altercation in Concord.
Firefighter Ryan Cochran has been suspended with pay pending investigation results, according to a statement issued by the city of Kannapolis.
Cochran and his girlfriend were traveling on Concord-Salisbury Road toward Concord in a red pickup when they were followed by a Cadillac. The vehicle followed the two for several miles, and eventually Cochran stopped at the intersection of Plott Drive and Charing Lane, in a residential neighborhood, a press release said.
A physical altercation occurred between Cochran, 22, of Concord, and David Robert Pittarelli, 33, of Charlotte. Pittarelli was shot and later died at the scene.
Concord Police received a call at 9:51 p.m. that someone had been shot near a residential area off South Union Street, officials said.
There is no indication the parties involved knew each other, investigators said, and no reason has been given as to why Pittarelli would have been following Cochran or why they fought.
The city of Kannapolis issued a brief statement Friday.
“This is a tragedy for everyone involved,” spokeswoman Annette Privette Keller said. “We will cooperate with the Concord Police Department and the Cabarrus County District Attorney’s Office in their investigation of this very unfortunate incident.”
Cochran joined the fire department in 2012.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
By Susan Shinn For The Salisbury Post Hundreds of Lutherans from across North Carolina gathered April 25 at St. John’s... read more