Food Lion 2015 CIAA Tournament Week Activities
Food Lion has announced its continued support of the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association Tournament by sponsoring several events, which have become favorites to CIAA fans. These events include the women’s tournament, Miss CIAA and “Food Lion Day at the CIAA” this Friday. All events will be held Monday through Saturday in Charlotte.
“Food Lion is honored to be a part of the CIAA’s 2015 tournament to show our continued support for our communities surrounding the 12 CIAA schools,” said Dave Bass, division vice president for Food Lion’s Central Division. “Our company has been an official corporate sponsor of the CIAA for 21 years. Through this partnership, Food Lion has been able to employ many CIAA students and alumni at its stores, which are in close proximity of CIAA colleges and universities. We invite all who are planning to attend this year’s event to celebrate with us.”
Food Lion kicked off its CIAA sponsorship Thursday by partnering with Johnson C. Smith University to open one of the first student pantries at a CIAA school. The company will partner with an additional CIAA school next week to open another pantry. The opening of both CIAA college pantries are part of the grocer’s commitment to end hunger in its local communities through Food Lion Feeds by donating 500 million meals across its operating footprint by the end of 2020.
As a corporate CIAA partner and the only retail grocer partner, Food Lion will again serve as the title sponsor for the 2015 Food Lion CIAA Women’s Basketball Tournament, which begins Tuesday and concludes Saturday at Time Warner Cable Arena.
In addition, Food Lion is sponsoring many family-friendly activities, including:
- Food Lion Chef Challenge: Fans will have a chance to enjoy Food Lion Chef Challenge cooking demonstrations from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Thursday and Friday, as well as noon to 8 p.m. on Saturday. The events will be held at the Charlotte Convention Center. Food Lion will also have taste challenges between private brand and national brand items at the events.
- Food Lion Day at the CIAA: Food Lion invites its customers and fans to participate in Food Lion Day at the CIAA on Friday at Time Warner Cable Arena. The all-day event will feature interactive games, premium giveaways and Food Lion’s scholarship check presentations.
- Food Lion Miss CIAA Competition: Food Lion will officially crown Miss CIAA 2015 and present scholarships to the winner and first and second runner-ups on Saturday at 11 a.m. on the main court inside Time Warner Cable Arena. There will be opportunities for media to interview the winner after the crowning. The twelve contestants include:
- Miss Bowie State University Marissa Massey
- Miss Chowan University LaTarryl Hall
- Miss Elizabeth City State University Deneal Banks
- Miss Fayetteville State University Dara Colon
- Miss Johnson C. Smith University SA’Keithia Hammond
- Miss Lincoln University Kiara Jackson
- Miss Livingstone College LaQuazaya Davis-Brown
- Miss St. Augustine’s University Darnella Reeder
- Miss Shaw University Miriam Young
- Miss Virginia Union University Machele Sanders
- Miss Virginia State University Tiera Sedden
- Miss Winston-Salem State University Leah Darby
All events are free for attendees, excluding the basketball tournament games. For more information about Food Lion-sponsored activities during this year’s tournament, visit www.foodlion.com/ciaachefchallenge.
By David Purtell firstname.lastname@example.org Downtown Salisbury is going to get a little bit sweeter this spring when a new bakery... read more