College: Area athletes update
Area athletes update …
Ayanna Holmes (Salisbury) had a career game for Charlotte on Saturday with 18 points, eight assists and five rebounds in an 82-67 win against Old Dominion. Holmes went 6-for-6 on free throws and made two 3-pointers. She has 22 assists versus only four turnovers in her last three games. Olivia Rankin (Salisbury) added six points for the 49ers.
Holmes tied her career high Thursday with nine assists in Charlotte’s 75-72 loss to UTEP.
• Shay Steele (West Rowan) scored a career-high 25 points and had nine rebounds in Morehead State’s 81-74 loss to Tennessee State on Saturday. Steele shot 9-for-11 from the field. Steele is averaging 13.8 points and 5.9 rebounds and has 46 blocks.
• Jessica Heilig (Salisbury) had 11 points in Gardner-Webb’s 62-56 win against Charleston Southern on Tuesday. Heilig is averaging 11.5 points.
• Radford’s Ayana Avery (West Rowan) is shooting 39.1 percent on 3-pointers and has made 61 this season. She’s averaging a team-high 10.8 points per game for the Highlanders.
• J.C. Smith’s Bubbles Phifer (Salisbury) hit four 3-pointers and scored 16 points in a 97-73 CIAA win against St. Augustine’s on Wednesday.
• Columbia’s Alison Sobataka (West Rowan) hit two 3-pointers and scored nine points in an 84-78 win against Union on Saturday.
Keshun Sherrill (West Rowan) scored 15 points as GRU Augusta won its seventh straight game on Wednesday with a 73-48 win against Flagler.
• Darius Moose (Carson) scored 12 points for Brevard in a 73-70 SAC win against Carson-Newman on Wednesday.
• Isaiah Cuthbertson (West Rowan) scored 11 points for Mars Hill in a 74-66 SAC loss to Anderson on Wednesday.
• Alex Weant (Salisbury) had five points and five rebounds for Roanoke in a 103-78 loss to Guilford on Wednesday.
• Seth Martin (West Rowan) made six 3-pointers and scored 20 points for Catawba Valley Community College in Wednesday’s 77-75 win at Patrick Henry CC.
• Nate Jones (Davie) scored 22 for Davidson County CC in an 85-83 win against Caldwell CC.
College track and field
Lees-McRae (West Rowan) sophomore Cody McNeely set a personal record in the 800-meter run at the ETSU Invitational over the weekend in Johnson City, Tenn. McNeely ran 1:59:29 for 13th overall in a mostly D-I field.
Ben Wilson (West Rowan) led Lees-McRae in the 1600 meter run.
• Western Carolina’s Alisha Bradshaw (Salisbury) placed third in the shot put in Johnson City.
Bradshaw threw 46 feet, 3 1/4 inches.
Lela Moore (West Rowan), a junior environmental studies major at Hollins University, has been named to the Dean’s List for the 2014 fall semester.
Guilford’s Avery Rogers (East Rowan) pitched into the fifth and allowed one run in a 9-3 win against Averett on Wednesday. Nathan Fulbright (East Rowan) had a double and scored two runs.
LANDIS — South Rowan’s girls were victims of clutch Shenell Pharr 3-pointers and lost 58-54 at East Rowan on Jan. 9,... read more