Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Food broker Beth Meadows has a Super Bowl party every year and, in general, she uses three words to describe all of her parties: Those words are:
A. Casual, comfortable and crazy
B. Messy, melty and magnificent
C. Dippy, dicey and delicious
D. Luscious, lazy and loud
2. Former N.C. Gov. Jim Martin recently spoke at Catawba College, covering a topic that’s the basis for his new book, due out this spring. What’s the theme for Martin’s book?
A. The compatibility of science and religion
B. How North Carolina became a red (Republican) state
C. Why government works best in small doses
D. How public schools are bankrupting North Carolina and most every other state in the country
3. Over the years, Salisbury’s Fleming Candy Co. has gained a reputation for selling something other than candy at wholesale. What else does the company specialize in?
A. Gift-wrapping paper
B. Comic books
C. Floor tile
D. Fishing tackle
4. Catawba College has hired Dr. Racquel Richardson Ingram of Kernersville to head a new program at the school. What program will Ingram be chairman and associate professor for?
C. Information technologies
5. The N.C. General Assembly reconvened last week, and legislators received their committee assignments. To what committee was Rep. Carl Ford, R-Rowan, appointed chairman?
B. Small Business
C. Local Government
6. N.C. Rep. Harry Warren, R-Rowan, also was named chairman of a House committee. Which one is it?
C. Public Utilities
D. State Personnel
7. Actor and Salisbury native Kevin Carroll appeared on an episode of what popular television show Thursday night?
A. “The Big Bang Theory”
D. “Grey’s Anatomy”
8. “Kannapolis: A Moving Portrait,” which will be shown with a live score at Duke University March 20, incorporates 1941 footage shot by traveling cameraman H. Lee Waters, who died in 1997. Where was Waters from?
9. Using the North Carolina Research Campus as its site, Duke University and Google will be partners in a study to determine what?
A. What makes people healthy
B. What makes people sad
C. What makes people itch
D. What makes people lose weight
10. The Granite Quarry Board of Aldermen has voted to amend its town charter to allow for what?
A. A new municipal service district tax
B. A separate election for mayor in November
C. A change from two-year to four-year terms for aldermen.
D. Correction of the town’s boundaries
By Mark Wineka email@example.com GRANITE QUARRY — For the second time this month, Mayor Bill Feather broke a tie Thursday... read more