Area Sports Briefs: Sherrill scores 29
From staff reports
Keshun Sherrill (West Rowan) scored 29 points to lead GRU Augusta to a 97-88 overtime win against Lander in Greenwood, S.C., on Saturday.
Sherrill shot 10-for-17 and scored 25 points in the second half and overtime, including a driving layup with 2 seconds left that forced overtime.
It was the first loss of the season for 13th-ranked Lander. GRU Augusta is 11-4.
• Pfeiffer lost 58-42 at Mount Olive in Conference Carolinas action on Saturday.
AJ Clark scored 19 for the Falcons (5-7, 2-5).
Meg Pritchard scored 23 points to lead Pfeiffer to a 68-59 win at Mount Olive on Saturday.
Will Leckonby scored 14 points and Wes Fazia had 12 as Salisbury trounced East Davidson 87-36 on the road on Friday in the CCC opener for both teams.
• Salisbury’s girls lost 69-19 to East Davidson on Friday.
Bryanna Caldwell scored six for the Hornets.
Baylee Plummer had 27 points, 17 rebounds and eight blocks for the unbeaten Golden Eagles.
• Tyler Grooms scored 21 points to lead West Davidson (9-4) to a 56-43 win against Thomasville in a CCC opener.
• Jaylon Neal scored 25 points and Joekeem Neal had 19 points and six assists as A.L. Brown’s won 74-61 at Mallard Creek on Friday.
It was the first MECKA win of the season for the Wonders (4-7, 1-4). A.L. Brown was 2-12 in the league last season.
• Aubrianna Peebles scored 21 points and Madison Zaferatos added 14 as Davie’s girls romped 66-21 against Parkland on Saturday.
North Hills hoops
The North Hills boys won 53-37 against Cramerton Christian in the championship game of the No Boundaries basketball tournament.
Leonard Murdock scored 19 points and Chris Taylor had 15 for the Eagles. Both made the all-tournament team.
• North Hills romped 74-32 against Carolina Christian.
Taylor scored 19 points, Murdock had 13, and Collin Lewis scored nine.
• The North Hills elementary school boys won 43-12 againts Lake Norman Christian.
Aydan Patterson scored eight, Liam Ogg had seven, and Stephen Johnson, Pacey Watts and Andrew Watson scored six points each.
South Rowan won 36-27 against East Rowan.
Tazan Hardin scored 16 for the Raiders.
Courtney Wagner scored 13 for the Mustangs. Caroline Johnson and Anna Shafer scored six each.
• East Rowan won 33-25 against Central Cabarrus.
Wagner scored 16, Hollie Harrison had eight, and Micah Loper scored seven.
Salisbury Academy’s jayvee girls won 25-15 against Hickory Christian.
Emma Nianouris scored 12 points. Maggie Dees scored seven.
• Salisbury Academy’s varsity girls lost 38-32 against Hickory Christian.
Katie Leckonby scored 14 for the Jaguars. Ellen Simons hit three 3-pointers and scored 12. Annabel Barr scored six. Lila Harry was a defensive standout.
• Salisbury Academy’s varsity boys lost 39-28 to Hickory Christian. Sam Combs led the Jaguars with nine points, and Mitch Jeter scored eight. The Jaguars play Concordia on Tuesday.