• 37°

Rowan weather: Light snow possible

Here’s a Christmas surprise — someone DID say snow.

We have a slight chance of light snow developing tonight or tomorrow morning, but no accumulation is expected.

Today’s high of 52, under mostly sunny skies, will warm the ground. But a wind from the north this morning will blow cold. The rain won’t move in until the wee hours of Saturday morning, and then the chance is only 30 percent. The low tonight is predicted to be 35, but outlying areas will be colder.

For Saturday, the National Weather Service says rain and snow are likely before 11 a.m., then mostly rain. What was listed as a 90 percent chance of precipitation yesterday is now a 60 percent chance. The high will be 44. Saturday night will be mostly cloudy and around 32 degrees.

You’ll be saying “Rain, rain go away. Come again another day,” Sunday through Wednesday. We can only hope the predictions are wrong. It’s going to be a very soggy week of Christmas.

Sunday brings a 20 percent chance of rain, mainly in the afternoon, with mostly sunny skies and a high near 49. Rain is likely, 60 percent chance, Sunday night, again into the early hours of Monday. The low will be 36.

Monday, still a 60 percent chance of rain, mainly before 3 p.m., with a high near 41. We have a 40 percent chance of rain Monday night, with a low around 38.

A 40 percent chance of rain for Tuesday, with a high near 53, then up to 60 percent for Tuesday night, with a low around 43.

Don’t expect a change for Wednesday, Christmas Eve — there’s another 60 percent chance of rain, with a high near 53. And Wednesday night, a 30 percent chance of rain, with a low around 32.

But, the forecast says sunny for Christmas Day, with a high near 49. That’s one prediction we like.

Comments

Local

Board of elections discusses upgrading voting machines, making precinct changes

News

Lawmakers finalize how state will spend COVID-19 funds

Local

Salisbury Station one of several ‘hot spots’ included in NCDOT rail safety study

Education

Essie Mae Kiser Foxx appeal denied, school considering options

News

Iredell County votes to move Confederate memorial to cemetery

Nation/World

Lara Trump may have eyes on running for a Senate seat

Local

Rowan among counties in Biden’s disaster declaration from November floods

Local

PETA plans protest at Salisbury Police Department on Friday

Education

Essie Mae Kiser Foxx appeal denied, charter revoked

Coronavirus

29 new positives, no new COVID-19 deaths reported

Crime

Blotter: Woman charged with drug crimes

News

Nesting no more: Eagles appear to have moved on from Duke’s Buck Station

Business

The Smoke Pit leaving downtown Salisbury for standalone building on Faith Road

Education

Shoutouts

High School

High school football: Hornets’ Gaither set the tone against West

Local

Salisbury to show off new fire station

Education

Livingstone College to host virtual Big Read events this month

Local

City makes some appointments to local boards, holds off on others to seek women, appointees of color

Education

Education briefs: RCCC instructor honored by Occupational Therapy Association

Local

Second quarter financial update shows promising outlook for city’s budget

Columnists

Genia Woods: Let’s talk about good news in Salisbury

Local

City attorney will gather more information for Salisbury nondiscrimination ordinance

Education

North Hills planning to hold May fundraiser in person

East Spencer

Developers aim to transform former Dunbar School site into multi-purpose community development