Area athletes: Hargrave has historic day for S.C. State
Published 11:57 am Tuesday, October 28, 2014
South Carolina State’s Javon Hargrave (North Rowan) had six sacks for 28 yards in losses and forced two fumbles in an amazing performance in Saturday’s 20-14 win against rival Bethune-Cookman, the 14th-ranked team in FCS football.
Hargrave, a junior defensive lineman, made 11 tackles and was named the FCS National Player of the Week for defense. Hargrave was an easy choice for MEAC Defensive Player of the Week. He leads the league in sacks with 14 and in tackles for loss with 18.5.
The previous school record at South Carolina State for sacks was four. Hargrave not only broke the school record, he tied the conference (MEAC) and FCS records for sacks in a game.
• Kevin Parks (West Rowan) had a rushing TD and a receiving TD for Virginia in Saturday’s 28-27 loss to UNC. Parks rushed 25 times for 111 yards and caught four passes for 19 yards.
• Keeon Johnson (A.L. Brown) had two catches for 23 yards for the Cavaliers.
• Damien Washington (A.L. Brown) had a 15-yard reception for the Tar Heels.
• Romar Morris (Salisbury) rushed three times for 12 yards for UNC.
• In a 48-40 loss to James Madison, Charlotte’s Kalif Phillips (A.L. Brown) rushed 22 times for 168 yards and scored two touchdowns. Phillips had a 45-yard scoring run and caught three passes for 52 yards.
• Western Michigan’s Keion Adams (Salisbury) had a tackle and three QB hurries in Saturday’s 42-21 win against Ohio.
• Gerald Holt (A.L. Brown) made a tackle for Liberty in a 34-0 win against Gardner-Webb.
• Coastal Carolina’s Michael Church (A.L. Brown) completed his only pass for 11 yards in a 43-22 win against Charleston Southern.
• Catawba’s Trey Mashore (West Rowan) rushed 16 times for 120 yards and returned six kickoffs for 172 yards in Saturday’s 42-37 win against Brevard. Mashore’s
• Mark McDaniel (South Rowan) and Jamal Lackey (Davie) had tackles for the Indians.
• Garrett Nestor (Davie) averaged 39 yards on two punts for Brevard.
• UNC Pembroke’s Cadarreus Mason (South Rowan) had six tackles and shared a sack in a 13-6 homecoming loss to Newberry.
• Tusculum’s Emmanuel Gbunblee (West Rowan) had three tackles, including a sack for a loss of 16 yards, in a 13-10 win against Wingate.
• Quentin Sifford (West Rowan) had two tackles, including a sack, for West Liberty in a 24-3 win against West Virginia Wesleyan.
• Lenoir-Rhyne’s Calvin Edwards (East Rowan) had three carries for 17 yards as the Bears rolled 45-17 against Mars Hill.
• In J.C. Smith’s 35-34 loss to Shaw, Erik Amaya (A.L. Brown) kicked four PATs. James Lott IV (A.L. Brown) made a tackle for the Golden Bulls.
• John Knox (Salisbury) had five catches for 40 yards for Charleston in a 24-20 loss to Concord.
• Logan Stoodley (West Rowan) made four tackles for Limestone in a 61-10 loss to Jacksonville.
• Adam Smith (Davie) caught a touchdown pass and had five receptions for 77 yards as Guilford (6-1) beat Randolph 28-6 on Saturday.
• Devin Mason (South Rowan) made two tackles for the Quakers.
• In Averett’s 26-14 loss to Ferrum, Dontae Gilbert (Carson) made six tackles.
• Averett’s Hobie Proctor (West Rowan) kicked two PATS and averaged 36 yards on eight punts. Proctor put three punts inside the 20.
Nicole Barringer, Averett’s only senior, was honored between games of a home doubleheader on Friday.
Averett beat N.C. Wesleyan and William Peace. Barringer (South Rowan) totalled 84 assists and 17 digs in the two matches.
• Hollins setter Lela Moore (West Rowan) had 43 assists, 21 digs and seven kills in losses to Eastern Mennonite and Bridgewater.
• Brevard’s Hannah Elmore (Carson) had five kills in a 3-1 loss to Lincoln Memorial on Saturday.
Erika Nelson (Salisbury) helped Wheaton win its 10th consecutive conference championship. Nelson won conference championships at No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles.
UNC Greensboro’s Roy Dixon (Salisbury) shot 81-71-77 — 229 and tied for 54th in the Bridgestone Collegiate at Grandover Resort.
Radford’s Ayana Avery is on the second team on the All-Big South Conference preseason team.
Carlos Dixon (South Rowan, Virginia Tech) is averaging 17 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.8 assists after six outings with the Gunma Crane Thunders in Japan.
• K.J. Sherrill (West Rowan, Augusta State) is averaging 8.7 points and 4.3 rebounds after six games for the Cuxhaven BasCats in Germany.
• Jacksonville defensive Chris Smith (West Rowan) spent five weeks on the Jaguars’ practice squad before being placed on the active 53-man roster prior to Sunday’s game to replace injured Andre Branch.
• DB Jumal Rolle (Catawba) is now with the Houston Texans. He’s played in two games.
• DB L.J. McCray (Catawba) has played in six games for the San Francisco 49ers.