Police warn businesses, residents of Duke Energy scam
Salisbury Police are warning local residents and business of a potential phone scam after three different entities received calls from a person pretending to represent Duke Energy.
On Wednesday, Italy Cafe, Honey Baked Ham and Emma’s Restaurant all received calls from an identical number, said Salisbury Police Department spokesperson Shelia Lingle. The first call came at noon on Wednesday to Emma’s Restaurant, according to police records. Subsequent calls were at 1:06 p.m. and 1:40 p.m. to Italy Cafe and Honey Baked Ham, respectively, according to police records.
The fraudulent caller reportedly asked businesses to pay a sum of money because they were late on power bills. During the phone call, the caller said the power would be turned off at the business within two hours, according to Lingle.
As of Thursday, no one had been arrested for the phony calls.
Lingle said the nature of the calls isn’t typical of Duke’s business practices. She advised people to call the business following a similar phone call before giving out any financial information.
In other police reports:
• A simple physical assault on Tuesday was reported on the 400 block of Klumac Road
• A woman on Tuesday reported a simple, physical assault on the 2000 block of Harrison Road
• A man on Tuesday reported a simple physical assault on the 100 block of Norris Drive
• A man on Wednesday reported larceny — pick pocketing on the 700 block of Lakewood Drive
• Miscellaneous property damage on Wednesday was reported on the 1700 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard
• Dolan Anthony Allison, 35, was arrested Tuesday on a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia on the 2000 block of South Main Street
• Melissa Yvette Leach, 42, was arrested Wednesday on charges of impaired driving on the 1000 block of East Lafayette Street
In sheriff’s reports:
• A man on Tuesday reported a burglary — forcible entry on the 100 block of Bev Road in Rockwell
• Someone reported on Tuesday that the Children’s Miracle Network donation jar was stolen from a business on the 1100 block of Peeler Road in Salisbury
• A man on Tuesday reported several items were stolen from outside his residence on the 100 block of Chevy Avenue in Salisbury
• A man reported a larceny on Tuesday that occurred between July 1 and Sept. 19 on the 900 block of Kepley Road in Salisbury
• A woman reported on Tuesday a simple, physical assault on the 100 block of Dishman Road in Mount Ulla
• Jennifer Wyne, 36, was arrested Tuesday on charges of assault on the 3000 block of East Ridge Road in Salisbury
• Kenneth Wayne Moose, 33, was arrested Tuesday on charges of breaking and entering a building on the 2900 block of Emanuel Church Road in Rockwell
• Linda Jay Self, 54, was arrested Tuesday on charges of larceny on the 1000 block of Summerset Street in Salisbury
• Gusty Shayde Souza, 19, was arrested Tuesday on charges of resisting, delaying or obstructing a public officer on the 3100 block of Poole Road in Salisbury
• Ashley Travis Thompson, 24, was arrested Tuesday on charges of assault on a female on the 100 block of Dishman Road in Mount Ulla
Contact reporter Josh Bergeron at 704-797-4246