Men argue over woman; she ends up going to jail after pulling gun
Authorities say an argument among exes left one of them staring into the barrel of a handgun and left a Union Grove woman in handcuffs.
Salisbury Police charged Rema Barnett Britt, 49, of the 200 block of Tutterow Road, with assault by pointing a gun and carrying a concealed weapon, both misdemeanors.
Police were called to the 200 block of Ridge Avenue regarding a domestic disturbance. Police said two men, who were ex-boyfriends, were arguing over Britt. A report said she pointed a gun at one of the men. Someone at the residence said the woman police were looking for had just left. She was stopped at the intersection of Elm Street and Lincolnton Road.
An officer asked Britt if she had a handgun. She told the officer it was inside her purse, but it was actually in a bag under the driver’s seat. She told police the incident involved her boyfriend. The men were threatening to fight each other.
Britt was issued a $300 secured bond and has since been released from the Rowan County Detention Center. She is expected in court June 23.
In other police news:
• A woman reported Wednesday a burglary occurred in the 200 block of West D Avenue.
• A woman reported Wednesday someone stole a bicycle in the 800 block of Sunset Drive.
• A woman reported Wednesday a traffic crash resulted from hit and run at the Walmart parking lot.
• A woman reported Wednesday a larceny at the Hurley Family YMCA, 800 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• A woman reported Thursday a simple assault occurred in the 600 block of Linn Lane.
• Darius Asti McCauley, 25, was charged with misdemeanor vandalism to real property Wednesday after he damaged a door by kicking it at Clancy Hills Apartment complex.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A woman reported Tuesday her outbuilding was broken into and lawn equipment was taken in the 3100 block of old Concord Road.
• A man reported Tuesday a break-in of his vehicle occurred between May 10 and Monday in the 100 block of Dogwood Drive, China Grove.
• A man reported Tuesday a larceny in the 6200 block of South Main Street.
• A man reported Tuesday someone took items after a break-in in the 300 block of Pine Ridge Road.
• A woman reported Tuesday items were missing following a break-in in he 3100 block of White Road.
• Jason Wesley Flemming, 16, was charged Tuesday with simple assault at East Rowan High.
• Jacob Benge, 17, was charged Tuesday with simple assault in the 7900 block of Red Road, Rockwell.
• Ernest Lewis Erdman, 40, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor larceny in the 200 block of Orphanage Road.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.
ROCKWELL — You can’t go home again, but 17 East Rowan and Carson high school seniors proved you can at... read more