10 things to know today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. PRO-RUSSIAN INSURGENTS SAY EASTERN UKRAINE APPROVES SOVEREIGNTY
Moscow calls on Kiev to engage in dialogue with representatives of the country’s east to implement the results of the referendum.
2. FOR BRAZIL’S WORLD CUP, SUSPICION OF CORRUPTION RUNNETH OVER
An Associated Press analysis of data shows lead builder of Brasilia’s stadium increased its political donations 500-fold in the most recent election.
3. WHY MICHAEL SAM’S DRAFT KISS IS GROUNDBREAKING
Millions watched the first openly-gay NFL player kiss his boyfriend when he got drafted by the Rams–and for ESPN and the NFL Network, showing the kiss was a non-issue.
4. POLICE LOSE VITAL VOICE CLUES AS MORE STANDOFF TALKS ARE TEXTS
More and more, officers must defuse violent, unpredictable situations through the typed word, which experts say warrants new, specialized training.
5. INDIA’S MAMMOTH VOTING SEASON ENDS
Over 810 million people in the world’s largest democracy are eligible to vote in the election that could bring an end to the Congress party’s decade in power.
6. HOW OBAMACARE IS GIVING PREGNANT WOMEN MORE OPTIONS
Expectant mothers could save on their medical bills through access to additional Medicaid coverage.
7. SPRINGTIME SLINGS SNOW, HAIL, TWISTERS
Mother Nature acts like she didn’t get her Mother’s Day card on time, turning a wet, snowy cold shoulder on Colorado and Wyoming, and tornadoes of wrath on Nebraska. Kansas and Oklahoma may also face punishment.
8. WHO INTENDS TO APPEAL SAME-SEX MARRIAGE RULING
Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel will ask the state’s Supreme Court to review a lower court’s decision to overturn a 2004 constitutional ban on gay marriage.
9. WASHINGTON MONUMENT TO OPEN FOR FIRST TIME SINCE 2011 EARTHQUAKE
The world’s tallest freestanding stone structure has been repaired, with damaged marble being replaced by stone salvaged from Baltimore row houses or the Maryland quarry that provided the original.
10. STERLING’S WIFE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO HOLD ON TO CLIPPERS
The NBA says if Donald Sterling’s ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers is terminated, so is Shelly Sterling’s.
Gettin’ Jiggy with it: Barbecue competition, street fair highlights of Jiggy Jam weekend in Kannapolis
KANNAPOLIS – The sun shone, the thunder rumbled, but nothing stopped the people of Kannapolis from getting Jiggy this weekend.... read more