Police charge teen who steals bike from neighborhood child, caught riding it
Police arrived at a John Penn Circle home this weekend to a homeowner who had an armed teen “detained” following the theft of his daughter’s bicycle.
A Salisbury Police report does not indicate how the homeowner detained the teen, who lives in the same neighborhood.
Jose Daniel Lainez, 19, of the 100 block of John Penn Circle, was charged with misdemeanor possession of stolen goods, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of a firearm with an altered serial number. He has since been released from the Rowan County jail under a $2,500 secured bond.
The father told police he saw the teen in possession of the bike April 15. He saw the teen riding the bike. Upon a search of Lainez, police found a .22-caliber revolver in his pocket. The handgun’s serial numbers had been scratched off, a report said.
In other Police reports:
• A man reported a the theft of his vehicle Friday in the 500 block of South Church Street.
• A man reported someone took items from his vehicle Friday in the 1100 block of Crosby Street.
• A woman reported a burglary Friday in the 1400 block of West Horah Street.
• A woman reported a vandalism Friday in the 200 block of Imperial Drive.
• A teen was shot at Saturday in the 1800 block of Second Street and West D Avenue.
• A woman reported someone pushed her down Saturday in Walmart and took her purse. Customers chased the suspect, but he got away in the 300 block of South Arlington Street.
• Chambers Realty reported burglary occurred between April 20 and Sunday in the 1000 New Street.
• Marcus Dontriel Chambers, 22, was charged Friday with misdemeanor assault on a female.
In Sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported someone removed a car from West Rowan Automotive Thursday from the 8900 block of Statesville Boulevard, Cleveland.
• A woman reported cash was taken from her mother Thursday from the 12600 of Mooresville Road, Mount Ulla.
• A woman reported Thursday the theft of a submersible well pump valued at $700 was stolen from a house under construction in the 900 N.C. 801 Woodleaf.
• A man reported someone tried to gain entry into his residence by breaking out a window in the 1300 block of Hurley School Road.
• Jeremy Lee Jacobs, 17, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor resist, delay, obstruct, delay a public officer in the 400 block of Scout Road.
• James Walter Danielson, 31, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 100 block of Liberty Street.
• Callie Ann Atwell, 41, was charged Thursday with simple assault in the 14700 block of Old Beatty Ford Road, Gold Hill.
• Michael Shane Hooks, 31, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor assault by pointing a gun in the 13900 block of U.S. 52, Gold Hill.
SALISBURY — No doubt there have been a lot of firsts in the history of the Salisbury-Rowan Choral Society. Saturday’s... read more