Catawba inducts five stars
Catawba held its annual Sports Hall of Fame inductions on Saturday.
Inducted were Joey Boley (Class of 1995, golf), Catey Conner (2001, soccer), Robert Hampton (1938, baseball), Nick Means (2003, football) and Allen Simmons (1977, football).
Hampton is deceased. His son, Worth, made the acceptance speech.
Stories on many of the new Hall of Famers will be upcoming.
Matt Hardister made a double eagle 2 on the No. 18 hole at McCanless on Saturday.
Hardister holed an 8-iron shot from 150 yards out.
Charlie Garrison and David Garrison witnessed the rare feat.
The McCanless Ladies played a two-day spring handicap tournament over the weekend.
Harriet Holman won, with Tammie Drew second and Robin Leslie third.
The Carson girls basketball program will resume Monday night middle school clinics tonight from 6-8 p.m. at the Carson gym. The gym will open at 5:30. The cost is $10. Additional dates are May 5,12, 19 and June 2.
Anderson beat Wingate 5-0 on Sunday to win the SAC tournament championship.
• Mount Olive beat King 11-3 in the Conference Carolinas softball tournament championship game on Sunday.
• Guilford freshman Steffi Sides (East Rowan) played in 41 games this season and helped the Quakers to a 29-14 record, the best in school history.
Sides batted .255 with 11 RBIs and had two RBIs in a tournament win against Lynchburg. Guilford finished third in the ODAC tournament.
Twelfth-ranked Mount Olive won its 12th tournament title in 19 years by beating King 10-9 on Sunday.
The two-day SPC Championships will get started at East Rowan on Tuesday.
Scheduled for Tuesday are boys shot put, high jump and long jump and the 4×800 relay.
Scheduled girls finals are discus, pole vault, long jump and the 4×800 relay.
Prelims are scheduled Tuesday in the hurdles and dashes.
Weather could be a factor.
The Kannapolis Intimidators lost 3-2 at Rome on Sunday to end a six-game winning streak.
Tyler Williams drove in both Kannapolis runs in the ninth. Danny Hayes had two hits.
• Daniel Wagner (South Rowan) went 1-for-2 and had a sacrifice bunt to help Birmingham win 7-2 against Chattanooga in the Southern League on Sunday.
• Jerry Sands (Catawba) had two hits, including his sixth homer, and drove in three runs for Durham in Sunday’s 6-4 win against Scranton-Wilkes Barre.
Sands is batting .329 with 22 RBIs.
• Whit Merrifield (Davie) is batting .230 with two homers and nine RBIs for Northwest Arkansas in Double A.
• Jordan Jankowski (Catawba) has 11 strikeouts in 10 innings for Corpus Christi in Double A.