Area athletes update: Webb clears 15 feet, 7 inches
Area athletes update …
Lees-McRae pole vaulter Evan Webb (East Rowan) cleared 15 feet, 7 inches in the UCS Invitational held in Winston-Salem over the weekend. That was a national provisional mark for Webb.
Lees-McRae freshman Makayla Boswell (Davie) high-jumped 5-1 in that same meet.
• East Carolina’s Amber Holloway (West Rowan) was 19th in the 400 (1:01.12) in the UCS Invitational.
• Christa Landy (West) ran on the N.C. Central 4×400 relay team that finished ninth in the MEAC championships
Isaiah Cuthbertson (West) had 19 points and nine rebounds for Mars Hill in an 83-78 SAC upset of Queens on Saturday.
• Darius Moose (Carson) scored 18 points to help Brevard upset Coker 88-84 in a SAC game on Saturday.
Brevard will play at Catawba on Feb. 22.
• Nick Houston (Carson) hit a 3-pointer for Catawba in Saturday’s loss at Anderson.
• The Sherrill brothers, K.J. and Keshun (West), combined for 28 points in GRU Augusta’s 78-65 win against Georgia Southwestern on Saturday.
• Tevin Stark (A.L. Brown) scored nine points for Sandhills Community College in an 87-73 win against Central Carolina.
• Oshon West (North Rowan) had eight points and six rebounds as Louisburg blew out Lenoir Community College.
College women’s basketball
Radford’s Ayana Avery (West) scored eight points and had five assists in a 57-40 loss to Winthrop on Saturday.
• Gardner-Webb’s Jessica Heilig (Salisbury) had 11 points and four rebounds in a 72-62 loss to Liberty on Saturday.
• Former Concord star Ny Hammonds broke Charlotte’s career record for assists. She has 448.
• Temple’s Shi-Heria Shipp (Salisbury) scored 12 points and pulled down six rebounds in a 55-53 loss to Cincinnati on Saturday.
• Amy Steller (Davie) scored 12 points in Pfeiffer’s 86-79 CC win at North Greenville. It was the first road win of the year for the Falcons.
Former East Rowan teammates were on opposite sides on a college diamond on Saturday when Elon’s Chelsea White pitched to Campbell shortstop Ericka Nesbitt.
Nesbitt had one hit in three at-bats, and White struck her out once.
White (1-2) allowed only three hits in six innings, but Campbell won the game 3-0.
Nesbitt is off to a nice start with five hits in 14 at-bats (.357).
• Steffi Sides (East) had a great debut for Guilford. She had three hits Sunday in a win against Methodist.
• North Carolina A&T’s junior second baseman Zebresha Blakeney (A.L. Brown) drove in a run and stole a base to help the Aggies beat Alabama A&M 9-3 on Saturday.
• Western Carolina’s Sarah Perrine (West) went 1-for-1 and scored a run in Saturday’s loss to Mississippi.
• Belmont Abbey’s Samantha Jacobs (North) pitched a complete game and struck out nine in a 4-1 loss to Carson-Newman on Sunday.
Katherine Starnes (South) had two hits in Sunday’s doubleheader for BA, while Kaitlyn Jones (South) had one.
Starnes blasted her first college homer recently at Columbus State.
The first game of Sunday’s Brevard-Catawba doubleheader featured a Kannapolis American Legion matchup, with John J. Tuttle (A.L. Brown) pitching against the Tornados’ Kevin Hamilton (NW Cabarrus). Neither hurler was at his best, and they both had no-decisions in Brevard’s 7-6 victory.
• Army’s Jon Crucitti (West) went 1-for-3 and scored twice in a 7-6 loss to William & Mary on Sunday.
• Brian Bauk (Salisbury) had his first college hit for Appalachian State in an 8-3 loss to Arkansas.
• Avery Rogers (East) has fanned four in two relief innings for Guilford. Catcher Nathan Fulbright (East) is batting .333.
Bluefield’s Kourtney McGrady (Carson) made the Mid-South Conference all-academic team.