• 32°

Obama move on cancelled plans may touch 473K in NC

RALEIGH (AP) — Some of the more than 473,000 North Carolina residents whose health insurance policies were canceled by their companies for not meeting new federal coverage standards may get to keep their current policies under a change President Barack Obama announced Thursday.
White House officials said a letter going to state insurance commissioners will specify that current plans will not be considered out of compliance with the federal health insurance overhaul law next year. It will be up to state regulators and insurance companies to decide whether to keep alive previously canceled policies.
Twenty-one companies terminated 183,821 individual and group health insurance policies affecting 473,724 people by late October, according to figures collected by North Carolina’s Insurance Department. Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina issued 151,640 cancellations, followed by 20,370 by Coventry Health and 4,459 by Aetna. Aetna bought Coventry this year.
Blue Cross spokesman Lew Borman said Thursday it was too soon to say how the non-profit insurer would respond.
“We had already been actively exploring options to provide some relief to customers who were faced with losing a plan they liked,” Blue Cross president Brad Wilson said in a statement.
An Aetna spokesman had no immediate comment about its plans following the Obama Administration’s surprise announcement. Blue Cross and Coventry are the only two insurers selling policies in North Carolina on the federally operated insurance marketplace created by the overhaul law.
It’s not clear whether state Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin would approve an insurance company’s plan to reverse its policy cancellations. A spokeswoman had no immediately comment.
Seven companies notified the Insurance Department they were withdrawing from the state’s health insurance market. The rest offered replacement policies when terminating policies that didn’t meet the new standards of the federal law. Canceled policyholders also could shop for replacement plans on the federal insurance marketplace, but its website has been plagued by glitches so severe that fewer than 27,000 people enrolled in October in 36 states that use the Washington-designed exchange.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said this week that about 1,700 North Carolina residents successfully signed up for health insurance plans on the troubled website in the first month of open enrollment.
The government says about 15,000 North Carolina residents who went through the application process learned they were eligible for financial subsidies to buy coverage. Another 7,400 people were determined to be eligible for Medicaid, the government health insurance program primarily for children and the disabled.
North Carolina Sen. Kay Hagan, a Democrat who is facing a difficult re-election race next year, said the one-year fix isn’t sufficient for affected consumers.
“We still need to work towards a permanent solution so we do not simply kick the can down the road,” Hagan said in a statement. Hagan was one of 16 Democratic senators facing election next year who met with Obama last week to discuss constituent displeasure over the fumbled start.

Comments

Comments closed.

Local

City officials differ on how, what information should be released regarding viral K-9 officer video

High School

High school basketball: Carson girls are 3A champions

Lifestyle

High school, college sweethearts marry nearly 50 years later

Local

With jury trials set to resume, impact of COVID-19 on process looms

Legion baseball

Book explores life of Pfeiffer baseball coach Joe Ferebee

Education

Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education to receive update on competency-based education

Business

Biz Roundup: Kannapolis expects to see economic, housing growth continue in 2021

Business

A fixture of downtown Salisbury’s shopping scene, Caniche celebrates 15th anniversary this month

Local

Slate of new officers during local GOP convention; Rev. Jenkins becomes new chair

Landis

Landis officials narrow search for new manager to five candidates; expect decision within a month

Lifestyle

Together at last: High school, college sweethearts marry nearly 50 years later

Education

Rowan-Salisbury Schools sorts out transportation logistics in preparation for full-time return to classes

High School

Photo gallery: Carson goes undefeated, wins 3A state championship

Nation/World

Europe staggers as infectious variants power virus surge

Nation/World

Biden, Democrats prevail as Senate OKs $1.9 trillion virus relief bill

Nation/World

Senate Democrats strike deal on jobless aid, move relief bill closer to approval

News

Duke Life Flight pilot may have shut down wrong engine in fatal crash

News

Two NC counties get to participate in satellite internet pilot for students

Local

PETA protesters gather in front of police department

Coronavirus

UPDATED: Eight new COVID-19 deaths, 203 positives reported in county this week

Crime

Sheriff’s office: Two charged after suitcase of marijuana found in Jeep

Crime

Thomasville officer hospitalized after chase that started in Rowan County

Local

Board of elections discusses upgrading voting machines, making precinct changes

News

Lawmakers finalize how state will spend COVID-19 funds