CIAA Football: Edward Waters 14, Livingstone 13

Published 12:00 am Saturday, October 8, 2011

Staff report
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. ó The Livingstone football team played Edward Waters in a low-scoring affair Saturday afternoon and in the end two special teams miscues doomed the Blue Bears as they fell 14-13 to the Tigers.
Edward Waters scored the first points of the game with just over seven minutes left in the first quarter as the Tigers connected on a46-yard pass completion for a touchdown to go up 7-0.
Livingstone responded on the ensuing drive. The Blue Bears took the ball 70 yards over eight plays. The drive was capped off by a 37-yard passing touchdown from Levon Stanley to Miles Harris. The touchdown was Harrisí first score as a Blue Bear in his three-year career. The extra point was blocked by the Tigers and Edward Waters held a 7-6 lead.
Neither team had a legitimate scoring chance for the remainder of the half, but it was the Livingstone defense that gave the Blue Bears a spark just before the break. A Hillman Tabi punt pinned the Tigers at the two-yard line. On the second play from scrimmage, senior Devonta Harmon recovered an Edward Waters fumble in the endzone for a touchdown and after the extra point, the Blue Bears led 13-7 at the half.
The third quarter again saw no scoring chances for either team and the game went into the fourth quarter with the Blue Bears still leading 13-7. Edward Waters and Livingstone each punted on their first possessions of the fourth quarter.
Livingstoneís second possession of the fourth quarter started with just over nine minutes left in the contest, but a fourth-down attempt failed as Stanley fumbled and the Tigers recovered. Despite failing to score, the Blue Bears were able to take just under five minutes off the clock. Edward Waters took over with 4:44 left in the game, but four plays went backwards six yards. A punt on fourth down was blocked by Jerrell Gaynor and the Blue Bears recovered only three yards from the endzone.
The Blue Bears objective was now to put points on the board to solidify their second victory of the year. Livingstone ran three rushing plays, but couldnít move the ball. On fourth down and goal to go, the Blue Bears set up for a field goal attempt.
Sophomore wide receiver Anthony Holland, acting as the holder, couldnít handle the snap and picked the ball up and ran for the endzone. Holland was tackled 13 yards behind the line of scrimmage and the Tigers took over 83 yards from paydirt.
After an incomplete pass on first down, the Tigersí second play went for 14 yards. The third play from scrimmage, another pass, was completed 55 yards down the field to the Livingstone 19-yard line. After the Edward Waters quarterback spiked the ball to stop the clock, he then went for the endzone. They connected on a 19-yard touchdown score to tie the game 13-13 and set up the all-important extra-point attempt. The kick was good and the Tigers went up 14-13.