Rowan Public Library hosts reading programs
SALISBURY — Rowan Public Library invites kids to join the library for a fun-filled summer of exciting programs and great reads with “One World, Many Stories.
Pre-registration is being held at all library locations for children age 12 months to rising fifth-graders. Prizes are awarded for every 5, 10, 15 and 20 hours read, and door prizes are given at the school-aged programs.
Kick-off celebrations will be held from 10:30 a.m. to noon June 11 at the South Rowan Regional Library in China Grove and at the East Branch in Rockwell, and from 10 a.m. to noon at Rowan Public Library Headquarters in Salisbury.
Weekly programs begin June 13 and run through July 28, with the library staff entertaining the youngest participants and professional performers helping the school-aged children travel the globe. New for this year, limited family programs will be offered at Cleveland Town Hall and reading hours can be tracked at the time of the program.
Special performers for the school-aged group include Mo and Ro, Mark Daniel magic and stories, Criss Cross Mangosauce, Marian the Librarian, Didgeridoo Down Under, Grey Seal Puppets and Action Animals.
Program groups and times are:
• Les Enfants: 12- to 24-month-olds, Mondays, 10:30 a.m., East Branch; Tuesdays, 11 a.m., Headquarters; Thursdays, 10:30 a.m., South Library. Each program lasts about 30 minutes; runs for the first four weeks.
• Bambinos: 2-year-olds, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, East Branch; Wednesdays, South Library; Thursdays, Headquarters. Each program lasts about 30 minutes; runs for the first four weeks.
• Nińos: 3- to 5-year-olds, 10:30 a.m. Mondays, South Library; Wednesdays, Headquarters; Thursdays, East Branch. Each program lasts 30-45 minutes and runs for seven weeks.
• Kinder: Rising first- through fifth-graders, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m., South Library; Wednesdays, 2 p.m., Headquarters; Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m., East Branch; Thursdays, 10:30 a.m., Cleveland Town Hall (select programs only). Programs last about 45 minutes and runs for seven weeks.
Programs for the Kinder group are: June 13-16: Mark Daniel, Incredible World, Fantastic Stories & Magical Books (also at Cleveland); June 20-22: Didgeridoo Down Under, Australian Adventure; June 27-30: Marian the Librarian (also at Cleveland); July 5-6, July 28: Mo and Ro, Stories, Songs and Silliness (also at Cleveland); July 11-14: Criss Cross Mangosauce, Bilingual Extravaganza (also at Cleveland); July 18-20: Action Animals, Exotic Furry Friends; July 25-27: Grey Seal Puppets, Tangle of Tales.
• Calling all Teens: Travel the Globe with You Are Here
There are many ways for teens to see the world this summer at the Rowan Public Library. Starting June 13 and running through July 28, all rising sixth-graders to 12th-graders are invited to participate in events happening this summer at the library. Teens can earn library dollars to be used at the end of the summer to bid on prizes provided by the Friends of Rowan Public Library.
Programs will be held on Tuesdays, 3:30-5 p.m. at Headquarters; Wednesdays, 3:30-5 p.m. at East Branch in Rockwell; and Thursdays, 3:30-5 p.m. at South Rowan Regional in China Grove.
This year, the teen You Are Here events include Japanese Game shows; Antarctic explorations; world coin identification; African Jeopardy; making South American-inspired crafts and a scavenger hunt.
Each teen will receive a booklet when registering for summer reading. The booklet is a way to keep track of library dollars, which can be used to bid on prizes at the after-hours, end-of-the-summer North American Cookout. The bash will be at South Rowan Regional Library in China Grove from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on July 28.
This program is made possible by the Young Adult Library Services Association’s Summer Reading Program Grant with funding provided by Dollar General Literacy Foundation.
The teen event programs are:
• World Tour Australia: Identify world coins and learn about Australia; Headquarters, Salisbury, June 14, 3:30-5 p.m.; East Branch, Rockwell, June 15, 3:30-5 p.m.; South Rowan Regional, China Grove, June 17, 3:30- 5 p.m.
• South America: Learn about South America and make a Pińata or necklace; Headquarters, June 21, 3:30-5 p.m.; East Branch, June 22, 3:30-5 p.m.; South Rowan Regional, June 23, 3:30-5 p.m.
• Asia: Learn about countries in Asia and play a Japanese Game show; Headquarters, June 28, 3:30-5 p.m.; East Branch, June 29, 3:30-5 p.m.; South Rowan Regional, June 30, 3:30-5 p.m.
• Antarctica Explorations: Learn about life on Antarctica; Headquarters, July 5, 3:30-5 p.m.; East Branch, July 6, 3:30-5 p.m.; South Rowan Regional, July 7, 3:30-5 p.m.
• Africa Jeopardy: Explore the countries of Africa and test your knowledge; Headquarters, July 12, 3:30-5 p.m.; East Branch, July 13, 3:30-5 p.m.; South Rowan Regional, July 14, 3:30-5 p.m.
• European Scavenger Hunt: interactive scavenger hunt at the library; Headquarters, July 19, 3:30-5 p.m.; East Branch, July 20, 3:30-5 p.m.; South Rowan Regional, July 21, 3:30-5 p.m.
Also this summer, the library if offering a Parent and Family Reading Workshop from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on June 27 at the Headquarters location in Salisbury.
For more information check the library website at www.rowanpubliclibrary.org or call your closest library location — Headquarters, 704-216-8234; South Rowan Regional, 704-216-7728; East Branch, 704-216-7842.