Vacuum cleaner malfunction damages Kannapolis home
KANNAPOLIS ó A malfunctioning vacuum cleaner caused smoke and fire damage to home on Glenwood Street Thursday afternoon.
A residential fire alarm prompted the dispatch of the Kannapolis Fire Department at 2:38 p m. to a single-story brick house at 2364 Glenwood St., between Lane Street and Moose Road, just inside the Rowan County line.
Firefighters saw no signs of fire outside the house, but crews found heavy, black smoke inside.
They put out the fire and searched the home for occupants. No one was found, but crews freed three family pets.
The homeowner, Richard Berry, was at work, according to Randall Faggart, division chief. He said Berry’s wife had left left home and returned minutes after the fire department arrived.
Faggart said investigators determined a faulty electrical cord on a vacuum cleaner was the source of the fire. The vacuum was cut off but remained plugged in.
Firefighters from Kannapolis Stations 1, 2 and 3 responded, with 10 pieces of equipment and 21 firefighters.
Enochville and Landis fire departments moved up to Kannapolis stations to provide coverage.
A fire department official cited the value of residential alarms.
“It is a rare occurrence that we respond to an alarm that turns out to be an actual incident. That is why we always act as if every call is a true emergency,” said Battalion Chief Tracy Winecoff.
After the fire was extinguished, investigators allowed homeowners back into the residence to assess the damage. Once inside, the Berrys thanked firefighters for acting so quickly and saving many of the family’s valuables.
The residence suffered moderate fire and smoke damage, and the family will be staying with friends.