Old Beatty Ford Road interchange project being reconsidered
By Jessie Burchette
A resolution supporting a proposed new interstate interchange at I-85 and Old Beatty Ford Road never made it to a vote of the Rowan County Board of Commissioners Monday night.
The project being pushed by developers would move the interchange a half-mile north of the alignment proposed by the N.C. Department of Transportation.
Commissioner Jon Barber asked that the resolution of support be pulled from consideration and the board agreed.
Barber said later that he had received new information on the project and has asked the Rowan-Salisbury Economic Development Commission to take another look.
The EDC had adopted a resolution of support earlier this month.
Barber said he received information late Friday from the highway department that refuted the claim that the move north is necessary to have a full cloverleaf or diamond interchange. He wants time to reconsider the proposal.
Developers and property owners in the area of the proposed new interchange have indicated a willingness to help pay the cost of the new interchange, anticipating substantial development at the site.
In other matters, the board:
– Rejected a request from Donald and Virginia Champion to close a public recorded but unopened portion of Candlewick Drive in the Woodbridge Run subdivision off N.C. 150.
Sean Walker, attorney for the Champions, contended the street hasn’t been opened for more than 20 years and is part of the Champions’ yard.
Randy Reamer, attorney for the 200-plus acres Heidrick property adjacent to the Champions’, said the road is critical to provide access. He cited plans under way for development.
Walker contended that the Heidrick property has access to Harrison Road, Jake Alexander Boulevard and Mooresville Road.
John Casey, a Realtor, cited three years of work on a development plan of the Heidrick property including an environmental study.
Sides said while he would like to help the Champions, the county can’t block the access for the adjacent property. The board unanimously approved Sides’ motion to disallow the closing.
– Made more than a dozen appointments to various boards as follows:
ó Commissioners unanimously reappointed Carl Ford to a three-year term on the Social Services Board.
Chamberlain noted that Ford is a candidate for the board of commissioners and if he and Commissioner Jim Sides win in November, one will have to step down from the Social Services Board. Only one commissioner may serve on the board.
ó Appointed Dink Safrite, and Robert “Bob” Fallis to the Tourism Development Authority. The board rejected other applicants, including Suzanne Jones, Michelle Patterson and Wendy Wilson. Chamberlain asked for more applications, saying they will have three additional slots to fill at the July 7 meeting.
ó Filled four seats on the Rowan-Salisbury Economic Development Commission on split votes.
Sides nominated James Greene, E. Hayes Smith, Randall S. Gettys and the re-appointment of Harold Earnhardt.
Mitchell nominated Eric Slipp and Allen King.
Greene and Earnhardt were appointed with unanimous votes. Gettys and Smith were appointed by votes of Sides, Chamberlain and Hall.
Commissioners received a total of 14 applications, including one from Raymond Coltrain, a Democratic candidate for county commissioner,who was seeking reappointment to the EDC board. He failed to get a nomination.
ó Unanimously approved the reappointment of Patricia Fulcher and the appointment of Nancy Bilson to the Rowan-Cabarrus Community College Board of Trustees.
ó Appointed Troy Russell to the Juvenile Crime Prevention Council but declined to reappoint three current members, Lisa Kraft, Allene McNeil and Terry King. Chamberlain called for more applications.
ó Reappointed Steve Fisher to the Charlotte Regional Partnership Board.