Electrical malfunction leads to heavy fire damage at Kannapolis house
KANNAPOLIS ó Fire officials said an electrical malfunction caused a blaze Wednesday night that heavily damaged a home on Waco Avenue.
Firefighters responded around 8:45 p.m. to a call at 150 Waco Ave., where they found heavy smoke and flames coming from a single-story house, a press release said.
“The fire was fully involved when we arrived.” Battalion Chief Tracy Winecoff said. “Because of the amount of fire, we immediately began a defensive fire attack.”
A 73-year-old woman and her three adult children were in the home at the time of the fire. All were able to escape, though one had to leave the house through a window.
The residents will be staying with nearby relatives. The Cabarrus County American Red Cross is assisting the family.
The Kannapolis Fire Department responded to the scene with 13 apparatus and a total of 25 personnel. Landis and Odell Fire Departments assisted on the scene, as well as Cabarrus County EMS and Cabarrus Rescue. China Grove Fire Department, Cold Water Fire Department and Enochville Fire & Rescue provided district coverage.