Authorities make third arrest in Corriher Grange Road shootout
By Jessie Burchette
A third person has been charged in a home invasion and shootout last week on Corriher Grange Road.
Nigel Jerome Powers, 20, of 158 Austin Run Court, Kannapolis, is charged with three counts of robbery with firearms.
He is being held in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $500,000 bond.
Powers and three others face charges in the Oct. 27 home invasion and robbery at Randy and Sherry Deadmon’s 220 Corriher Grange Road home, or the subsequent encounter and shootout on Friday afternoon.
Lt. Terry Agner, of the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office, confirmed today that the Deadmon’s son, John-Ross Deadmon, is an acquaintance of one or more of the people involved in the home invasion and robbery.
Agner would not say if any of the people charged had been in the Deadmon house prior to the Oct. 27 robbery.
On that Tuesday night, a masked man knocked John Deadmon down when he went outside around 9 p.m. Another masked man armed with a gun and a woman went into the house and told Sherry Deadmon he would “blow her head off” if she didn’t open a safe, according to reports.
The three took the contents, described as a 357 Smith & Wesson and a .22 long nose pistol and “more than $1,000,” and left.
Friday afternoon around 3 p.m., John Deadmon and John-Ross Deadmon exchanged gunfire inside and outside their home with two men, seriously wounding one of them.
The Deadmons said the man came to their house and threatened them for reporting the Tuesday night robbery to law enforcement.
Jonathan Esquire Williams, 18, of 1699 Mission Oaks St., Kannapolis, was found seriously wounded at the Deadmon home. He was airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center, where he remains.
The second person authorities say was involved in the shootout is Tiamni D’Ante Starks, who John-Ross Deadmon chased along Corriher Grange Road to nearby N.C. 152, exchanging gunfire as they went.
Agner said today that investigators believe Powers, Starks, and Tiffany Suzanne Horne, are the three involved in the Oct. 26 robbery.
Horne, 19, 2105 Brantley Road, is charged with robbery with a firearm and conspiracy to commit robbery.
She is being held in the Rowan County Detention Center under $500,000 bond.
Investigators also believe Horne picked up Starks Friday evening as he tried to elude Kannapolis police after the shooting.
Starks, 18, of Brantley Creek Drive, Kannapolis, is charged with attempted murder, robbery with firearms and conspiracy to commit robbery.
He is being held in the Rowan County Detention Center under $1 million bond.
Williams faces two counts each of attempted first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery.
He will not be formally charged until released from the hospital.