Area sports briefs: East tennis tops Carson
From staff and wire reports
East Rowan beat Carson 7-2 in NPC tennis Monday.
Winning in singles for the Mustangs (3-0) were Brittany Honeycutt, Devan Corpening, Kayela Wilson, Katie Cassady and Hannah Pressley.
Winning in doubles for East were Wilson-Megan Bullins and Cassady-Brett Kesler.
East plays at Statesville on Wednesday.
* West Rowan beat West Iredell 8-1 in NPC tennis Monday.
Sarah Teel, Madison Rusher, Maggie Daniel, Tyler March and Dorothy Mauldin won singles matches for the Falcons.
West Rowan doubles winners were Teel-Allison Cranford, Rusher-Daniel and Olivia McSwain-Mary Beth Stanley.
– Intimidators baseball
The Kannapolis Intimidators didn’t get to play Monday’s scheduled game because of wet grounds at Fieldcrest Cannon Stadium.
Kannapolis plays tonight at home against the West Virginia Power at 7:05 p.m.
– Minor leagues
Jerry Sands (Catawba) homered for Great Lakes’ only run in a 5-1 loss against Ft. Wayne on Monday.
* Tim Smith (Catawba) hasn’t allowed a run in his last five relief outings for Kingsport, a span of 62/3 innings.
* Kyle Seager had a hit and two walks for Clinton in a 4-3 loss against Cedar Rapids on Monday. Seager is batting .270 and has been used as the leadoff hitter of late.
* New Britain’s Spencer Steedley (East Rowan) pitched to only one batter Monday but registered a ninth-inning strikeout of Phillies prospect Domonic Brown.
* Carolina Mudcats pitcher Zach Ward (A.L. Brown) is still looking to recapture his form. He allowed three runs and seven hits in 22/3 innings on Monday. Ward’s ERA fell to 18.51.
* Jake Peavy made a succesful rehab start for Charlotte on Monday. He pitched five shutout innings in a 4-1 victory against Gwinnett.
– NFL football
Aundrae Allison (A.L. Brown) had one reception for nine yards for the New York Jets in a 24-23 preseason loss against the Baltimore Ravens on Monday.
Mark Sanchez’s first pass was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. His second pass was nearly picked off. On his final play, however, the rookie threw his first NFL touchdown pass ó a 19-yarder to running back Leon Washington.
Long after Sanchez departed, third-string quarterback Erik Ainge scored on a sneak with 22 seconds left to get the Jets to 24-23. First-year coach Rex Ryan called for a 2-point conversion that failed.
– Local golf
The weekend pairings for the Labor Day golf tournament at the Country Club of Salisbury are listed in today’s Scoreboard.
Seventy-nine GARS members played in the organization’s annual tournament at Warrior Golf Club on Monday.
‘A’ Flight winner was O.J. Chandler with a net of 62.99.
‘B’ Flight winner was Everett Hancock with a net of 64.21.
‘C’ Flight winner was Lou Manning with a net of 59.92. ‘D’ Flight winner with a net of 63.24 was Bobby Bryant.