Area sports briefs: Intimidators win
From staff reports
The Kannapolis Intimidators battered Delmarva 9-0 at Fieldcrest Cannon Stadium on Tuesday.
Drew Garcia, Jose Vargas and Brandon Short had two RBIs apiece for the Intimidators. Charlie Leesman (7-4) pitched six shutout innings.
* Greg Miclat knocked in a run for the Shorebirds in their win against Kannapolis on Monday. Miclat, who starred at Virginia, is the brother of Rowan County second baseman Philip Miclat.
* Spencer Steedley (East Rowan) struck out three in two scoreless innings and earned his fifth save on Tuesday for the Fort Myers Miracle. Steedley’s ERA dropped to 0.88.
* Bristol’s Daniel Wagner (South Rowan) had three hits in a 5-4 loss against Johnson City on Tuesday. Wagner logged his fourth steal and 10th RBI.
* Ogden’s Jerry Sands (Catawba) is the Pioneer League Player of the Week. Sands was 16-for-32 for the week with five extra-base hits and eight RBIs.
– Junior Legion
Rowan County edged Eastern Randolph 6-5 in Ramseur on Tuesday to sweep a best-of-three series.
Neither team scored until Rowan got two runs in the fifth. Rowan took a 5-0 lead before ER rallied. Will Johnson struck out a batter with two on in the seventh to end it. Johnson saved a win for Matt Miller.
Nathan Fulbright and Andy Austin had two hits each for Rowan.
Rowan plays Thursday at Newman Park against Asheboro or Winston-Salem Green.
* Mooresville rapped up its first-round series with an 11-2, 7-2 sweep of Randleman.
– Wood bat leagues
Rudy Brown (South Rowan) pitched 6 2/3 innings for Asheboro on Tuesday and allowed 13 hits and four runs. He got no-decision in a 7-5 loss against Thomasville. Brown struck out four and walked one.
* Forest City suffered a rare loss when it fell 6-4 to Gastonia on Tuesday. Wade Moore (West Rowan, Catawba) was 1-for-2 with two steals for the Owls.
* Whit Merrifield (Davie) is batting .237 with six steals in the Cape Cod Baseball League.
– Junior Open golf
Lake Norman product Hayley Hammond, an N.C. State signee, repeated as girls Rowan Junior Open champion on Tuesday.
Hammond shot a second-round 75 at Warrior to go along with her 79 at Irish Creek.
Madison Kennedy (Salisbury) shot 77-81 ó 158 for second. Katie Knepp (West Rowan) was third at 88-81 ó 169.
In the boys division, Troy Beaver (Salisbury) is the new champ. He shot 75-70 ó 145 to top Denver’s Russ Piercy by one stroke. Alex Nianouris (Salisbury) shot 74-75 ó 149 for third overall. Roy Dixon (Salisbury) carded rounds of 75-77 ó 152 and tied for fifth overall.
In the boys 11-13 division, Anthony Perrino edged Noah Edmondson in a playoff. Both shot 146 for two days. Davis Richards (China Grove) was third at 73-80 ó 153.
Bryson Sprinkle (Salisbury) won the 8-10 boys division with nine-hole rounds of 48-49 ó 97. Walker Cress (Kannapolis) was second at 54-54 ó 108.
Anna Redding shot 96-93 ó 189 to win the 11-13 girls division. Grace Yatawara (Salisbury) shot 103-97 ó 200.
Larkin Kelly won the 8-10 girls division. She shot 108.
– Corbin ladies golf
A throw-out handicap golf tournament was played Tuesday at Corbin Hills.
Carolynn Ries won, with Donna Devlieger second, Shirley Baucom third and Joy Maughmer fourth. Becky Isenhour won low putts.
– Kiwanis tennis
Salisbury Parks and Recreation recently held its Kiwanis Junior Open Tennis Tournament at City Park and Catawba.
* In boys 18 singles, Brett Williams (Concord) defeated Justin Wycoff (Mocksville) 7-5, 6-4 in the final.
* In boys 16 singles, Patrick Hensley defeated Hang Lak Choi (Newton) 6-3, 6-1 in the final.
* In boys 14 singles, Jacob Combs (Mooresville) beat John Tate (Newton) 6-3, 6-2 in the final.
* In boys 12 singles, Dubie Dubin (Fayetteville, Ga.) defeated Scotty Cameron (Charlotte) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 in the final.
* In boys 10 singles Anil Chakka (Little Rock, Ark.) defeated Nathaniel Berrier (Lexington) in the final.
* In girls 18 singles, Megan Debelius defeated Ciera Combs in the final 6-3, 7-5.
* In girls 16 singles, Ashley Murray defeated Jessica Davis 6-1, 6-2 in the final.
* In girls 14 singles, Julia Farrell (Mooresville) was the winner against Danielle David (Waxhaw) in the final.
* In girls 12 singles, Kayla Honeycutt (Salisbury) topped Meghan Hedgepeth (Salisbury) 6-1, 6-4.
* In girls 10 singles, Katherine Earnhardt (Concord) beat Mimi Webb (Salisbury) 6-1, 6-1.