Statesville at Northwest Cabarrus
* Time: 7:30 p.m.
* Records: Statesville 4-2, 3-1 NPC; NW Cabarrus 3-3, 1-3 NPC
* Last meeting: Statesville won a 37-30 thriller in 2007 at Greyhound Hollow
* Last week: Statesville beat North Iredell 35-24; Northwest lost to Mooresville 35-14
* Next week: Statesville is at Mooresville; Northwest is at West Iredell
* Game notes: Last week was a rough one for Northwest, which watched Mooresville star Jjshaun Pinkston bolt 90 yards on the first snap by the Blue Devils.
Pinkston rushed for 204 yards, and Northwest, which had its defense shredded for the first time, was never in the game. The Trojans punched in two late TDs to make the final score look closer than the game actually was.
Calvin Nelson was one of the few bright spots for the Trojans, rushing for 141 yards and both TDs.
Linebacker Kendall Self, who broke a hand early in the season, and center Travis Matte also played well for the Trojans, who are dealing with several injuries.
Statesville has to win to stay in the race with Mooresville and West Rowan, who are perfect in the NPC.
The Greyhounds own NPC victories over South Rowan, Lake Norman and North Iredell and also a decent non-league win over Hickory (3-3).
Northwestís only league victory came against North Iredell, and itís not looking good for the wounded Trojans to finish among the top six.
Statesville coach Randall Gusler has resurrected a program that was 0-11 in 2005 and 2-9 in 2006.
The Greyhounds havenít yet played as well as they did last year, but they have a talented back in Andre Shepherd, who has recovered from a back injury and scored two TDs last week. Greg Chambers is also a threat.
By Dr. Jim Epperson For The Salisbury PostThe Blue Masque Hall of Fame will induct its first class of honorees... read more