South Rowan at Statesville
* Time: 7:30 p.m.
* Records: South Rowan 1-2, 1-0 NPC; Statesville 2-1, 1-0 NPC
* Series: Statesville leads 11-2
* Last meeting: Statesville scored two early touchdowns and won 21-12 at Donnell Stadium
* Last week: South got a key 27-6 victory over Northwest Cabarrus to open NPC play; Statesville suffered a surprising ó even shocking ó 10-7 loss to South Iredell in a non-conference matchup and will be anxious to rebound
* Next week: South Rowan is home against high-powered West Iredell; Statesville is at NPC bully West Rowan
n Game notes: Itís another big one for South, as it tries to climb the respect meter. A road win would make South a legitimate contender, although West Rowan and Mooresville still look like the NPC teams to beat.
South picked off five passes and forced eight turnovers last week, including an interception return for a touchdown by sophomore Mark McDaniel.
Southís defensive line, anchored by Kelsey Robinson and Cadarreus Mason, is its biggest strength, and that unit will be chasing veteran Statesville QB T.J. McCombs. Statesvilleís biggest weapon, running back Andre Shepherd, has been banged-up and was out of the lineup last week, but his replacement, Greg Chambers, rushed for 106 yards.
Southís offensive line, which includes Jeff Daniels, made major strides last week. South rushed for a season-high 236 yards against a big Northwest defensive front.
Penalties and turnovers killed Statesville last week. South Iredell, which gave up 47 points to West Iredell, nearly shut out the Hounds.
Statesville has owned this series, with Southís only wins coming in 1968 and 1969. The teams had not met since 1972 until South returned to the 3A ranks in 2007.