Major Leagues: Randolph still the Mets manager
NEW YORK ó If Willie Randolph was worried about losing his job, he never showed it.
He walked confidently into a packed news conference Monday, still the New York Mets’ manager after a much-anticipated meeting with team ownership that lasted about two hours.
“Willie’s job was never in danger going into this meeting,” general manager Omar Minaya said.
The embattled skipper sat down with owner Fred Wilpon and his son, Jeff, the club’s chief operating officer, as well as Minaya to discuss two things in particular: the team’s sluggish play, and Randolph’s comments last week about his portrayal on Mets broadcasts in which he raised the issue of race.
Randolph subsequently apologized for those statements and tried reaching out to ownership with a telephone call. The Wilpons said they’d rather talk face-to-face, Minaya said, so the foursome scheduled a meeting for Memorial Day afternoon.
“Willie has my support. He has the support of our ownership,” Minaya said. “There is no limbo period. Willie is the manager.”
So, was he told he’ll definitely manage the Mets for the rest of the season?
“No, they didn’t say that,” Randolph answered.
In other words, he probably needs to start winning.
Randolph’s contract runs through the 2009 season, but his $138 million team was a disappointing 23-25 as New York opened a seven-game homestand Monday night against NL East-leading Florida.