Bengals cut ties with WR
CINCINNATI ó Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry lost his job while in jail awaiting arraignment on assault charges on Thursday.
The Bengals cut him after his fifth arrest since 2005.
An attorney for Henry, 24, entered not guilty pleas for him after Henry was accused of punching an 18-year-old man in the face and breaking his car window with a beer bottle.
Municipal Court Judge Bernie Bouchard set bond at $51,000 on charges of misdemeanor assault and criminal damaging. Noting Henryís previous arrests involving drugs, guns and alcohol, the judge called Henry ia one-man crime wave.î He ordered electronic monitoring if Henry makes bail.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said it was premature to speculate on Henryís future in the league.
iIt will be reviewed under the standard conduct policy,î Aiello said.
Henry did not speak at the hearing. His lawyer, Perry Ancona, disputed the allegations in the complaint sworn by Gregory Meyer.
iWe have a different set of facts we ask the court to consider,î Ancona said.
Minutes before the arraignment, Ancona broke the news to Henry that he had been released.
Bengals president Mike Brown said in a statement that Henry, an often brilliant receiver who would be in his fourth pro season this year, had forfeited his career with the club.
iHis conduct can no longer be tolerated,î Brown said.
Henry was suspended by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for the first half of last season for repeatedly violating the leagueís conduct policy. He also was suspended for two games in 2006.