College Basketball: Lutz gets extension
CHARLOTTE ó Charlotte’s Bobby Lutz signed a new five-year contract on Friday that will keep him at the school through the 2012-13 season, ending a year of uncertainty for the veteran coach.
Lutz’s future was in limbo after the 49ers went 14-16 in the 2006-07 season and he was denied a contract extension. Lutz said the school’s administration told him to start looking for other jobs.
The 49-year-old Lutz, who graduated from Charlotte, was offered the South Alabama coaching position last spring. He turned it down, determined to turn things around at Charlotte.
The 49ers responded this season by going 20-14. Charlotte reached the Atlantic 10 tournament semifinals before losing to Nebraska in the first round of the NIT.
“I’m excited about the extension and look forward to at least the next five years here at Charlotte,” Lutz said. “I am particularly happy to know that I will be coaching this returning group of players and feel like we have great things ahead of us.”
After the 49ers got off to a good start, including an upset win at then-No. 18 Clemson, school officials reversed course and started negotiating with Lutz.
“Working with Bobby, we have put together an innovative package that rewards him for success on the floor, academic accomplishment, strong scheduling and successful marketing,” Chancellor Philip Dubois said. “I’m confident that Bobby will continue to build a program that all people in the Charlotte region can come to call their own.”
Lutz is 188-126 in 10 seasons at Charlotte and earlier this season passed Jeff Mullins as the school’s all-time winningest coach.
“I am proud of our success and want to do even more over the next few years and feel as though we are in good position to make that happen,” Lutz said. “This extension puts me in a better position to end my coaching career at Charlotte which is what I’ve always wanted to do.”