Area Sports Briefs
Published 12:00 am Thursday, January 25, 2007
From staff reports
Former South Rowan and Pfeiffer star Damien Argrett ranks fifth in scoring in the Czech Republic’s National Basketball League.
Argrett is averaging 18.8 points a game. He had 19 points and 11 rebounds in his most recent outing.
* Carlos Dixon (South Rowan) scored 15 and 18 points in his most recent outings as his Jiangsu Dragons split two Chinese Basketball Association contests.
* Rico Grier (Pfeiffer) is playing with the Duesseldorf Magics in Germany.
* Cornelius leads Angels to first win
Brittany Cornelius (East Rowan) scored 26 points, including 20 in the second half, to lead Meredith’s basketball team to a 64-61 win over Bennett on Tuesday.
* Gore has strong game
Coker freshman Michael Gore (South Rowan) contributed eight points and seven rebounds in 15 minutes of action on Wednesday in a 77-67 CVAC loss to St. Andrews.
* Morris gets ace at Foxwood
Harold Morris made a hole-in-one on No. 18 at Foxwood recently. Morris used an 8-iron on the 145-yard hole. He was playing with Henry Morgan, Barth Tesh and Wes Sheets.
* Nine Wonders on All-SPC football
A.L. Brown punter Eddie Silavong, defensive backs Torrey Benjamin and Jamill Lott, offensive linemen Scott Stallings and Greg Johnson, defensive lineman Justin Miller, quarterback Jonathan Efird, running back Ryan Fowler and receiver Josh Gray were named to the All-SPC football squad.
Concord’s E.Z. Smith was SPC Coach of the Year and Spider receiver Lance Lewis was named Offensive Player of the Year. Sun Valley’s Michael Cox was named Defensive Player of the Year.
* Lexington hires football coach
The Lexington Dispatch reported Chris Deal will be the new head football coach at Lexington.
Deal, who coached 4A Alexander Central to a 9-4 mark last fall, replaces Gary Whitman, who announced last season he would not be returning.
Deal is a native of Statesville and a 1995 graduate of Lenoir-Rhyne.
* Erwin teams fall to Goldminers
Erwin’s seventh-grade basketball teams lost a season-opening doubleheader to Concord.
Concord won the girls game 32-29 behind 18 points by Quantavia Lynch.
Sydney Safrit led the Eagles with 10 points. Summer Taylor had eight points and five rebounds. Ashley Goins had eight points and six assists.
* Concord’s boys rolled 51-27 behind 16 points by J.D. Misenheimer. Ameer Jackson had 10 points.
Jordan Shepherd led the Eagles with seven points. Weston Rogers had six points. Reid Lippard had four steals.
* Sacred Heart girls win again
Sacred Heart’s girls basketball team beat Concordia 28-23 for its sixth straight win.
Kelly Dulkoski had 15 points to lead the Dolphins (10-8). Allison Baucom had six points. Katie Washington and Abby Grathwohl combined for 15 boards.
* Salisbury Academy basketball
Salisbury Academy’s varsity girls defeated Erwin’s seventh-graders 31-28 in an exhibition scrimmage. Carley Drye, Mally Fisher and Erika Nelson led the Jaguars.
* Salisbury Academy’s varsity boys defeated Erwin’s seventh-graders 30-28 in a scrimmage. Chad Hoskins led SA with 17 points and eight assists.
* Salisbury Academy’s jayvee boys lost to First Assembly 30-28 in overtime. Trey Bergsma scored 22 points for the Jaguars.
* Salisbury Academy’s jayvee girls beat First Assembly 32-19, with Anna Flynn, Elizabeth Hefner and Madeline Hoskins leading the way.
* Stallions win over Forsyth
The Rowan-Cabarrus Homeschool middle school boys basketball team defeated Forsyth Home Educators 56-49.
Kyle Bridges led the Stallions with 29 points. Sam Nelson had eight points. Connor Bridges added six.
* Rowan Rage tryouts
Rowan Rage will be holding tryouts for a new 8-under tournament team this Saturday from 1-3 p.m. at Rockwell Elementary School.
Call Todd McNeely at 704-279-2224 or Lester Hedrick at 336-239-5548 with questions.
* South Y church league basketball
South Rowan YMCA is accepting registrations for its church league basketball program.
Games will be played on Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting the week of Feb. 12. There is a mandatory coaches meeting on Jan. 25, at 6:30 p.m. The fee is $425 per team. Teams furnish their own jerseys. Contact Gary Earnhardt at 704-857-7011.
* Rowan Little League sign-ups
Rowan Little League sign-ups are from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Jan. 27 at Godley’s Garden Center — or register online at http://www.eteamz.com/rowanlittleleague.
Cost is $40 for Coach Pitch and T-ball (ages 5-8). Cost is $ 60 for ages 9-10, 11-12 and 13-14. League age is as of April 30, 2007.
Contact Jeff Bernhardt at 704-855-9849.
* Rowan Tarheels
The Rowan Tarheels 11-under baseball team seeks players. Players can’t turn 12 before May 1.
Contact Scott Setzer at 704-637-0455 after 4 p.m.