Parnell gets 15th save
Bobby Parnell (East Rowan) is having a fine season for the New York Mets.
Parnell logged his 15th save on Sunday by getting the last four outs in the Mets’ 2-1 win against Milwaukee.
Parnell is 5-4 with a 2.48 ERA, with 15 saves. He’s struck out 33 in 40 innings, while walking nine.
The right-handed Parnell has had surprising succcess against lefty hitters. They’re batting .169 against him.
Parnell has been especially tough on Atlanta. He’s 1-0 with three saves against the Braves and has a 0.00 ERA in five appearances.
• Kyle Seager (NW Cabarrus) is having another terrific year in Seattle. Seager is batting .286 with 13 homers and 41 RBIs.
He belted five homers in June and is off to a sizzling 12-for-22 start in July.
Seager has homered in nine different ballparks this season. He’s been especially good against Texas. He’s 23-for-55 (.418) with two homers and eight RBIs against the Rangers.
The Kannapolis Intimidators lost 7-6 in 10 innings at Hickory on Sunday.
Keon Barnum hit his third homer of the series for the Intimidators. He also doubled and singled.
Hickory won the series three games to one.
After an off-day today, Kannapolis is home on Tuesday night vs. the West Virginia Power, a Pittsburg affiliate.
The Power’s roster includes slugging prospect Josh Bell (eight homers, 51 RBIs).
• Birmingham’s Daniel Wagner (South Rowan) had a hot 15-for-28 stretch that lifted his batting average to .287 going into Sunday’s action.
• Jerry Sands (Catawba) found his home-run swing during a rehab assignment. He homered on Wednesday and Saturday and should be back with Triple-A Indianapolis soon.
• Northwest Arkansas’ Whit Merrifield (Davie) also has had a hot streak. He batted .385 in a 10-game stretch with three three-hit games to push his batting average to .243 entering Sunday.
•Justin Seager (NW Cabarrus) hit his first pro homer Saturday night. He’s batted .308 with nine RBIs in his first 16 games in Everett, Wash.
• Corey Seager (NW Cabarrus) was batting .293 with eight homers and 40 RBIs in Midland, Mich., entering Sunday’s game.
• Nick Lomascolo (Catawba) is 1-1 after two outings for the Johnson City Cardinals.
• J.J. Jankowski (Catawba) is 3-1 with a 2.99 ERA for Quad Cities. He has 68 strikeouts and 17 walks. He’s been used as both a starter and reliever.
• The Houston Astros signed UNC lefty Kent Emanuel, a third-round pick. His bonus was $747,700.
West Rowan topped Concord 15-5 on Sunday to win a playoff series two games to one.
Brett Graham was the winning pitcher.
Hunter Shepherd and Noah Teeter led the offense.
China Grove’s 9-year-olds beat East Rowan 4-2 to reach the district championship game.
East beat Bunker Hill 9-0 to reach the final. East and host team China Grove will play at 6 today and also at 8, if East wins the first game.
• East’s 10-year-olds lost 8-5 to Eastern Randolph but won 6-1 vs. Indian Trail and 12-1 vs. UC American.
China Grove’s 10s won 11-6 against UC American.
East’s 10s play Porter Ridge today at 6 p.m. for a state tournament berth.
• East’s 8-year-old all-stars were rained out.