NFL Notebook: Akers received death threats on Twitter

  • Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:49 p.m.
San Francisco 49ers' Billy Cundiff looks on during workouts at an NFL football practice in Santa Clara, Calif., Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013. Cundiff signed a one-year contract on Tuesday with the NFC West champion 49ers to compete with David Akers to handle the kicking duties for San Francisco in the NFC divisional playoffs Jan. 12. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
San Francisco 49ers' Billy Cundiff looks on during workouts at an NFL football practice in Santa Clara, Calif., Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013. Cundiff signed a one-year contract on Tuesday with the NFC West champion 49ers to compete with David Akers to handle the kicking duties for San Francisco in the NFC divisional playoffs Jan. 12. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Associated Press
The NFL notebook ...

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — San Francisco 49ers placekicker David Akers said Thursday he received death threats on Twitter and closed the account.


Akers received the death threats late last month, but is unsure at the number of posts directed at him because he did not go further back on his account to see how many.

“It was Twitter stuff. I got off there, so I won’t deal with that anymore,” Akers said Thursday.

Once he initially saw them, he reported it to team and NFL security personnel. The 49ers said they were aware of the situation, and so was the league.

“I didn’t go back and look any further,” Akers said. “I hadn’t been on there for weeks, so I didn’t go back and look at any old ones after that. I don’t take anything lightly. You really can’t. I went through the proper people and what they felt like was safe.”

It was Akers last season who came to the defense of teammate Kyle Williams when he faced threats following two costly fumbles in the NFC championship game, a 20-17 overtime loss to the New York Giants.

The 38-year-old Akers also revealed Thursday — when newly signed kicker Billy Cundiff practiced alongside him in what has become a competition — that he underwent double hernia surgery last February following his All-Pro season.

COWBOYS
DALLAS — An autopsy has found that Dallas Cowboys practice squad player Jerry Brown Jr. was sober when he was killed in a crash that led to an intoxication manslaughter charge against the teammate at the wheel.

The Dallas County Medical Examiner’s Office reported Thursday that Brown died of head and neck trauma when their vehicle overturned. He had a dislocated neck, a severely bruised spine and a blood alcohol content of 0.056 percent. That’s well below the Texas drunken driving standard of 0.08 percent.

Police have said Cowboys nose guard Josh Brent, who was driving, had a blood alcohol level twice the legal limit when after the Dec. 8 crash in Irving, a Dallas suburb. He remains free on $100,000 bond.

Police say neither man was wearing a seatbelt.

FALCONS
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — Everyone wants to know if the Atlanta Falcons can finally win a playoff game under coach Mike Smith.

The Falcons whiffed on their first three tries, but now they’re back as the NFC’s No. 1 seed with a 13-3 record for the second time in three years.

Any reason to think this time will be different?

“It’s a more determined attitude,” running back Michael Turner said. “We know nothing is promised, nothing is guaranteed.”

The Falcons learned as much the last two years, getting blown out at home by Green Bay and failing to score an offensive point in an ugly road loss to the New York Giants.

BRONCOS
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.— Welcome to the Denver Broncos 2013 job fair.

Offensive coordinator Mike McCoy has interviews for vacant head-coaching jobs set up all weekend.

If a few things fall certain ways, defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio could be next on a few teams’ lists.

Such is life as an assistant coach of a winning team when there are plenty of losing teams out there looking for a turnaround.

Executives from up to four teams — Cardinals, Bills, Eagles and Bears — could wind up in Denver this weekend to visit with McCoy for what will essentially be a get-to-know-you interview for both the coach and the interested suitors.

COLTS
INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Colts want offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to stick around a little longer. They also understand he wants to become an NFL head coach.

On Thursday, the Colts said Arians had been granted permission to speak with the Chicago Bears about their head coaching vacancy, though it’s unclear when the interview will take place because Indy (11-5) will face AFC North champion Baltimore (10-6) in a wild-card round game Sunday. The winner will go to either Denver or New England in the divisional round.

Chicago might not be the only team interested. There has been speculation that the San Diego Chargers want Arians, too.

Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.