Woman suffers smoke inhalation at Granite Quarry house fire

  • Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:01 a.m.
    UPDATED: Friday, August 31, 2012 1:40 p.m.

By Shavonne Potts
spotts@salisburypost.com
GRANITE QUARRY - A South Oak Street woman suffered smoke inhalation after a fire today at her home. Zelma Alston was on the front porch of her family home at 303 S. Oak St., when she smelled smoke. When she looked into the house she saw smoke billowing from the one-story house that her father built.
Rowan County EMS gave Alston oxygen and monitored her at the scene. The fire occurred just before noon. The house is located across the street from Tri-State Corp., an aluminum railing manufacturer, and sits at the corner of Rowan Street.
Public Information Director and Town Manager Dan Peters said at the scene fire officials had not determined a cause as of yet.
Alston shares the home with her brother, Clarence, whom she said was not at the home at the time, but arrived shortly after the fire began.
The following agencies responded: Granite Quarry, Faith, Rockwell City, Salisbury City and Union fire departments. The Rowan County Rescue Squad, Rowan County EMS and Granite Quarry-Faith Joint Police Authority.
See more in Friday's Post.Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.

Commenting is not allowed on this article.