Enochville fire displaces one

Published 8:16 pm Monday, June 24, 2024

ENOCHVILLE — One resident was displaced after a fire damaged his home in Enochville on Monday.

Firefighters responded to a home in the 8100 block of Howard Avenue at approximately 6:20 p.m. in reference to a reported structure fire. When they arrived on scene, they found heavy smoke coming from the basement and first-floor windows of the home, said an Enochville Fire Department official on scene.

A resident who was reportedly in the home when the fire started told firefighters that he was alerted by smoke detectors and was able to escape the home before they arrived, said the official.

The fire damaged both of the stories of the home, with the official saying that firefighters were forced to avoid entrances to the basements with wooden stairs because the flames had caused them to collapse. Concrete stairs in another entrance provided access.

No one was injured in the fire. It was ruled under control at approximately 6:45 p.m.

Enochville, Kannapolis, South Iredell, Landis, Atwell, China Grove and Locke fire departments and Rowan Rescue Squad all assisted in the efforts.